Df15 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df15 no spark

Customer dingy with 6yr old DF15 w/35hrs. Motor just quit during operation. I have 25vdc to coil with out load of coil while cranking but no spark, either plug. Gave 12vdc to primary of coil directly with plugs out and grounded to test. Heard a "tick" each time when the primary was disconnected but no spark at the plug itself?. Seems to me it's the coil assy, as it should have fired with the external 12v test. I did check each plug for a short and tightened up the gap a bit to see if it was just weak but no go.. opinions??

df15, quit running

The motor was running and just died? Check kill switch, on/ off switch, and does it have neutral switch? Did it die suddenly as if electrical, or like it ran out of fuel? Am guessing first, cause you're checking spark.
    Let us know how you're doing.
    Last edited by Solarman; 09-10-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Yes it died, then popped a few times and died completely according to the owner of the MV it's on. I went over what has been a troublesome harness assembled by a dealer first.. the kill sw was disconnected a long time ago as it was very problematic, as the customer had to shimm it with washers all the time. The neutral switch only prohibits cranking voltage via switch and mechanical locking of the pull start via a small cable and latch. You can pull start the unit with only the lanyard attached and in neutral normally, however with the lanyard switch disconnected like he has it, it'll start anytime it's pulled with the pull start. It has voltage all the way to the coil from the secondary winding for it under the flywheel while cranking, but no hv discharge from the secondary on the coil. Not able to see anything on the meter from the pulse pick-up on the meter while cranking, but that doesn't surprise me with out using a portable scope. So I decided to do the test on the coil it self. Disconnected and powered the coil directly from a 12v source and checked for spark by breaking the supply many times. Hear a "tick" each time around the coil each time it's disconnected, but nothing at the plugs. With-out any input from anyone here, the owner had another guy that's fairly sharp at the marina look at it and consider the steps I've taken so far, and he concurred it's most likely the coil ass'y also (odd as it may seem). I just hate guessing at 120$ parts out of a customers pocket, so I thought I'd ask here. Normally the external test, carefully applied, will rule out the coil, so I am still fairly sure that's it. The customer ordered one and we'll see how it goes when it arrives. Thanks for the response, Dave

Comment

Working...
      X