1982 dt25 not idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 dt25 not idling

i have a 1982 dt25, it wont idle and when put into gear it cuts out.
    the carbie has been cleaned out with carbie cleaner and compressed air.
    i had a mechanic look at it he thought it maybe the idle tube cracked and to replace the carbie.
    i have done that it didnt idle either. the mechanic was right about the idle tube. the secondhand carbie i bought has cracks on the outside so i put the idle tube in the original carb.
    it still wont idle, runs good but wont run in gear it just dies.
    i tested compression both were about 140-150psi. fuel pump seems to be good pumps under rev but not so much at idle speed. i try to pump the primer bulb but it is still tight. after it dies i must use the choke to start it again

not sure where to go from here. seems to be carbie related.

dt25, 82, won't idle

You say won't idle? Do you start it up revving it up?
    What RPMs will the motor idle at in neutral?
    Does motor run smoothly at lowest idle you can keep it running?

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      You say won't idle? Do you start it up revving it up?
      What RPMs will the motor idle at in neutral?
      Does motor run smoothly at lowest idle you can keep it running?
      yes i start it with the choke and rev it up it runs fine. not sure what the rpm's are but if i up the idle screw it runs fine. when it does die i have to use the choke again. alway have to use the choke.

Comment

dt25, not idling

Then sounds to me like carb hasn't been cleaned out where the jets are, or the jets themselves are still dirty. What do you have the air mixture screw set at (number of turns out, from lightly seated?).
        Let us know.

Comment

Then sounds to me like carb hasn't been cleaned out where the jets are, or the jets themselves are still dirty. What do you have the air mixture screw set at (number of turns out, from lightly seated?).
          Let us know.
          i start at 1 1/2 turns out and go from there. even the mechanic i got out cleaned the carbie out and could get it, although i have changed the idle tube since then. trying not to get him at the moment.

Comment

i went to a different wreckers today and bought another secondhand carby.
            must be off an earlier model but pretty much the same. i asked the guy what he uses to clean carbies and he uses cheap spray degreaser sprayed into a container and soak overnight. so that is what i am trying, just hoping this works.

while pullung carbies apart i found seals one on either side off the throttle valve. outside. just wondering if it might leak air there!!
            will check that tomorrow before i pull the original carby off again.

Comment

carb cleaner

You can get a gallon of carb cleaner with basket inside ( for small parts) from auto parts store, about $15. Can be used again, and again if you keep it sealed tightly.

Comment

under the advisement of the suzuki mechanics i opened the crank case yesterday to check seals and condition inside the case. i found the bottom crank case seal had worn two small grooves in the crank and had a small amount of oil past the seal. so i went to the bearing shop to get new seals, concern about the grooves i ask about it and they sold me a metal sleeve to go over the crank case. i have the electric to put back on the i will start it to see if my time and money have been well spend!

Comment

what a waste of time and money!! this thing is shitting me. is still not idling.
                  try electrical next.

Comment

'82, dt25, not idling

Still sounds fuel related.
                    I would try turning idle mixture screw in (closed- less air) from 1-1/2 turns about 1/8th turn. Even another 1/8 turn in, at the lowest idle you can maintain. Set idle speed stop where motor idles.
                    Check all linkages for any that seem too loose.
                    You did say you opened, and inspected the fuel pump thoroughly?
                    Will go back to parts page, to see if anything else might help.
                    Last edited by Solarman; 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Still sounds fuel related.
                      I would try turning idle mixture screw in (closed- less air) from 1-1/2 turns about 1/8th turn. Even another 1/8 turn in, at the lowest idle you can maintain. Set idle speed stop where motor idles.
                      Check all linkages for any that seem too loose.
                      You did say you opened, and inspected the fuel pump thoroughly?
                      Will go back to parts page, to see if anything else might help.
                      thanks.
                      i have tried turning the mixture screw in, there is only one linkage as it is tiller steer. i bypassed the pump and held the primer bulb to maitain fuel supply and still didnt help. looks like i either get a new outboard or take it in to suzuki and they charge the earth here.
                      thanks

Comment

dt25, not idling

Does your motor have any type of throttle position sensor connected to it? If yes, do an ohm test at idle /closed position, and slowly open the throttle while reading to full open position. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Does your motor have any type of throttle position sensor connected to it? If yes, do an ohm test at idle /closed position, and slowly open the throttle while reading to full open position. Let us know what you find.
                          no it is just a basic outboard!
                          i did pull the fuel pump off and run it. seems to be a lot of pressure there not much vacuum though. i thought there should be more vacuum.
                          maybe that is the problem?

it seems to be getting worse.

Comment

so i pulled the power head off mucking around with it fixing stripped thread,
                            when i was looking at the reeds assembly and the looking at the crankcase.
                            i realized that the reed gaskets are on the wrong side, so that there is a gap on the cranks side. that just maybe the problem!!!

Comment

dt25, not idling

If this is true, some gremlins must have worked on your motor in the past. Sorry, it isn't fun to go through all of this. But, the reed valves play a serious role in two stroke motors. Let us know how it turns out.
                              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X