1986 Suzuki DT-115 Shift problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Suzuki DT-115 Shift problem

I have a 1986 Suzuki DT-115 that does not shift into forward gear. Will shift into reverse OK comes out but will not go into forward gear. If I take the lower unit down like you are putting a water pump into it, can i pull the shift linkage out and look at and maybe repair the problem with out taking the lower unit apart. Was told that the part that shifts the dog clutch may have broken off one side? Looking at the parts breakdown looks like you can get to the shift linkage from the top. Just trying to get ideas before I start taking it apart.
    Thanks for any help
    Captain Danny L. Foster

Are you sure it was adjusted properly last time put back together?

If you have lower unit off, use vise grips and pull shift rod up (forward on my motors) check if prop is in gear. Then push shift rod down, next notch down should be neutral, and next notch down reverse (on mine). If going into gear at each position, then may have been the shift rod out of adjustment? Should check before going the other route.

It is not wise to just replace just the shift dog (worn out ears, or if broken). Basically IF you need to replace shiftdog, because ears are worn, or broken, there will be an equal amount of damage on the mating gear for the side that's worn, plus many metal pieces floating around till they get to the magnets.

If truly damaged, bite the bullet and have done properly, approx. Cost, $400.
    Good luck. Could by used if in good shape?

Comment

Was working fine and I started it up and backed off the dock and went to put it in forward and nothing happened, will back up but no forward. Guessing that the shift fork may have broken?

Comment

dt115, shifting problems

Am guessing it goes in and out of reverse & neutral fine. Does it make any noise when trying to go in forward?
        If boat is on trailer, remove the cover on shift rod connector. Push control lever to forward, notice which way shift rod moves (up or down) for forward. Spin prop by hand, to see if freewheeling, both directions. Using a small block of wood and screw driver / can use vise grips as well/ try moving shift rod, by prying, in direction forward should be. If it moves try turning prop again to see if it engages, both directions? Anything happen?
        Let us know.

Comment

Does it have like a fork on the bottom? I looked at the parts breakdown and it looks like there is a magnet on the bottom with a spring and detent ball in the rod. When I pulled off the boat, reverse was fine, when you tried to go into forward nothing happened, I talked to a dealer where I had bought parts from, he said usually the opposite happened forward went out and it would go into reverse. Way he talked there was a fork that did the shifting and one side of it had broken off.

Comment

looked at parts

Doesn't show a fork in either the transmission parts, or the clutch parts. The magnet,I believe, is just for catching filings and fragments. In much older motors I did see shift forks. But do not see one here. Looks like they use a push rod with a slope that moves the shift dog either forward, or backwards. Not very clear at that point is it.

As I said earlier, try to move the shift rod up (believe up is for forward). If you can put it in forward by hand, maybe it just needs adjusting? It isn't uncommon for it to get out of adjustment by someone not knowing how to reconnect it after replacing a water pump. It's worth checking before you go through all this trouble.
            Good luck, let us know what you do.

Comment

OK I started checking the engine this morning, by hand I can push the sifter to the rear, seems to go into gear fine, locks the impeller, move it back into neutral moves OK, push it toward the front of the engine seems to go in gear, prop won't spin, if I try to turn one way stays locked, the other way seems like it wants to come back to neutral. Does this make sense?
              Thanks
              Dan

Comment

dt115, shifting problems

Sounds like it is an adjustment problem. If it goes into forward by hand them it will go into forward by the controls. The adjustment must have been changed last time it was put back together. The connecting rod has to be adjusted properly for it to go into forward, neutral and reverse properly. Once it is adjusted properly then the backing nut is tightened to prevent it turning next time it has to be removed.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.

Comment

I got it mounted back on the boat now and will get every thing wired and mounted and once I get the adjustments correct a little drop of Loctight will make sure they it don't move again. Thanks for the help
                  Dan

Comment

shifting problems

Glad to hear. The adjustment you're making should be at the connector itself. Don't adjust the control cables. Do not remove anything except the shift rod connector. Once this is adjusted, the controls will work fine. There should be a backing nut on that adjustable connector where you put the shift rod together. Once it is adjusted properly, tighten that nut down to the connector, then it shouldn't move again. Every time you remove unit for water pump service tighten that nut before removal, when it goes back together the adjustment will be the same.
                    Let us know, if having troubles.
                    Happy boating.
                    Last edited by Solarman; 09-23-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X