1994 dt225 bogging out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 dt225 bogging out

Hey y'all I have a 24' mkcee craft with a 94 dt225 and today after launching at the ramp and the motor running fine for 20 minutes prior to taking off when getting on plain heading out of the inlet everything was running great for about 400 yards at 4400rpm the motor started to slowly loose power untill it wouldn't go past I'd say 2000-2200rpm. After that I decided to head back to the dock and I ran 6kts back in at 2200rpms after I got near the inlet I gave it some throttle to see what it would do and it got back on plain and and ran good but went back down to around 2200 after about the same abount of time. The fuel quality is good so the only thing I could think of is maybe a sensor.Or maybe starving for fuel under a load. It runs great at idel and it will rev up like normal if it's not in gear. I have a spare parts motor complete. If y'all could recommend anything I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

dt225, running issues

Sounds like it's dropping into limp-mode. Are there any flashing codes when this happens? The pee stream steady and not to hot? Did you try pumping the fuel bulb when this occurred? Checking these simple things on a boat, when something like this happens, can help us a bit.

So, if a sensor is going bad you would have a flashing code on the monitor? If a thermostat sticks shut motor starts to get hot,a sensor goes off. No signals on monitor, then we start looking at fuel issues, checking filters (reading anything in the filters - can clue us in on what's happening). Water separator? Vent on tank - causes bulb to collapse?

Let us know if anything is happening?
    Last edited by Solarman; 09-10-2014, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      Sounds like it's dropping into limp-mode. Are there any flashing codes when this happens? The pee stream steady and not to hot? Did you try pumping the fuel bulb when this occurred? Checking these simple things on a boat, when something like this happens, can help us a bit.

So, if a sensor is going bad you would have a flashing code on the monitor? If a thermostat sticks shut motor starts to get hot,a sensor goes off. No signals on monitor, then we start looking at fuel issues, checking filters (reading anything in the filters - can clue us in on what's happening). Water separator? Vent on tank - causes bulb to collapse?

Thanks for the reply. I took it out today after replaceing the fuel pumps I had from an old motor and it still does the same thing however as long as a friend is priming the bulb it takes off and runs great so it has to be a fuel dilivery problem. I've changed the primer all the filters .and still no luck.

Comment

Also no warning lights and it's peeing great. And no codes .
        Thanks again

Comment

dt225, 94, bogging out

Ok, friend pumping bulb, then does sound fuel related.
          Do you have carbs, or EFI system. Parts page here at boats.net doesn't show 94, dt225. It's not the first time? Am guessing you have the efi system. Your vapor separator tank (vst) has a float, and needle valve assy inside. You should carefully remove the needle valve AND seat. Check the back side of the seat for possible little plastic pieces of the check valves from the previous low pressure pump. It might do good to take your previous pumps apart to see if those check valves are intact (can't buy them without replacing entire pump, no part list for them. while you have the vst out, there should be a fuel line at the bottom that feeds the high pressure pump, that line has a cone shaped filter in it, pull and clean it also. When putting back together, make sure needle valve isn't sticking, and check float level. If float level too high fuel overflows out of vst,, when pumping bulb. if to low, motor can run out/ low of gas at higher speeds.
          If you have carbs, then all I wrote is a waste.lol. If using parts off used motor, low pressure pumps, you may need to inspect those little check valves also. Those ck-valves are common problem, out of 4 pumps may have two with good ck-valves?
          Let us know what's up. Good luck
          Last edited by Solarman; 09-12-2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Do you have carbs, or EFI system. Parts page here at boats.net doesn't show 94, dt225. It's not the first time? Am guessing you have the efi system. Your vapor separator tank (vst) has a float, and needle valve assy inside. You should carefully remove the needle valve AND seat. Check the back side of the seat for possible little plastic pieces of the check valves from the previous low pressure pump. It might do good to take your previous pumps apart to see if those check valves are intact (can't buy them without replacing entire pump, no part list for them. while you have the vst out, there should be a fuel line at the bottom that feeds the high pressure pump, that line has a cone shaped filter in it, pull and clean it also. When putting back together, make sure needle valve isn't sticking, and check float level. If float level too high fuel overflows out of vst,, when pumping bulb. if to low, motor can run out/ low of gas at higher speeds.
            If you have carbs, then all I wrote is a waste.lol. If using parts off used motor, low pressure pumps, you may need to inspect those little check valves also. Those ck-valves are common problem, out of 4 pumps may have two with good ck-valves?

Ok I replaced the vst with one I had on my other Dt225. I cleaned it very good prior to putting it on. I took it out and still the same thing. I'm going crazy with this thing.

Comment

I also just found out the air pressure sensor hose is not connected . Would that have any affect on the fuel system? Thanks

Comment

dt225, bogging out

It might be a problem, if not connected.
                Basically, if your motor runs with someone pumping the bulb, then you have a fuel problem. Either you have a blockage in fuel line, or vent line, an air leak in fuel line/ supply-causing motor to suck air, your low pressure pumps aren't working properly, or your vst is not working properly. These are the areas you need to be certain are working properly before wasting time or money on other things.
                Good luck.

Comment

As youve found out its a fuel problem....limp mode is exactly 3000 rpm and should give some sort of red flashing lite. Get a portable 6 gallon fuel tank with hose and primer ball and hook up to the line going from the old primer to the engine...if the problem still exists you have to take apart the low pressure fuel pumps...the check valves inside are probably bad. If still no help then check the float level and function of the needle valve and seat in the vapor separator..does a 94 have carbs or fuel injection....

Comment

Working...
                  X