2006 DF115 overheat weak pee flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 DF115 overheat weak pee flow

Ok, haven't changed my impeller since I bought new in 2006. I was out last weekend and when at slow (trolling speed) had alarm temp light flash and motor die. Restarted and noticed little to no water (peeing). Brought throttle up started peeing ran fine. Dropped RPM to slow troll again same thing. Anyhow ran around the rest of the day with RPM's up a bit with no issues. Took it out again and paid close attention to my (pee problem) and kept RPM's up no overheating problems. However was scared to troll slow with RPM's low. Did also notice at times pee stream was weak and would idle up a bit and get it flowing good again. Anyhow, ordered Suzuki water pump repair kit, should he here tomorrow. Pulled lower unit tonight and ( I am not experienced) however the impeller does not look "bad". The only signs of wear I see are are on the middle of the bottom of the cups on it, slight wear cracks. Could the impeller be the problem?? Or, am I looking at something else, thermostat? Clog? Thanks in advance.

I would replace it anyway. Hopefully you bought the whole kit, not just the impeller. I have been told that is important. Go to harbor freight and buy a cheap infrared thermometer. When the motor is running on the hose, see if any areas of the motor are heating up, that may help determine if there is a blockage.
    -Shawn

Comment

Those little cracks you saw in the impeller tell you that the rubber has lost its "spring" and flexibility. It is perished. Which means it is no longer doing its job properly.

8 years is a very, very long time for an impeller to last. I change mine every 100 hrs, about every year and a half when the motor gets serviced. I keep the old impeller as an emergency spare.

In fact, the less frequently the engine is used, the quicker the impeller goes off. An engine that sits unused for 18 months will almost certainly have a hard impeller that has to be changed, as a friend of mine recently found out the hard way.

99% sure that the new impeller and water pump kit will see the problem solved.

Comment

it's time fir an impeller.

That might be a record on age of impeller.lol.
        I change mine every two years, both motors.
        But another cause of cracks in impeller is turning when dry. The impeller has to be wet even if you are just bumping the starter, or turning the flywheel by hand.
        I believe you will see a strong pee stream once changed, as moonlighter has stated.
        Good luck, happy boating.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies. Suzuki water pump repair kit will be here tomorrow ordered from authorized Suzuki dealer. Hope it does the trick. And yes 8 years on the same impeller has to be a record for sure. Speaks to the quality and just how much you can push these outboards (not that I recommend it.). Will follow up Friday when I install kit and run with ear muffs. Thanks folks!

Comment

weak pee flow

We will wait to hear how it goes.
            good luck.

Comment

I, have always believed "when in doubt, throw it out", maintenance is much cheaper than a power head! change it every 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                That might be a record on age of impeller.lol.
                I change mine every two years, both motors.
                But another cause of cracks in impeller is turning when dry. The impeller has to be wet even if you are just bumping the starter, or turning the flywheel by hand.
                I believe you will see a strong pee stream once changed, as moonlighter has stated.
                Good luck, happy boating.
                Yes, if he was in Australia we would have put it up for a new national and potentially British Commonwealth record for the longest lasting water pump impeller, in the "open to all manufacturers" class!

Comment

I did the same thing. I never got a temp alarm. But my pee stream was rather weak. Impeller was fine when I checked it. So I looked at the thermostat and sure enough it was stuck and corroded. I replaced my thermostat and it will now pee 10ft even at idle. Something very easy to check.
                  2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Ok replaced it, seems to still pee pretty weak. Took forever to start peeing, was kind of scared, but pulled the cover and felt water going in. Should I check the thermostat? I assume the thermostat is on top of the head next to the oil fill?
                    Last edited by Nor-Cal-Angler; 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

yep. just three bolts and the cap pops right off.
                      2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Ok thermostat looks fine, no corrosion. Fairly hard to open I need to use a screwdriver to open it, but I assume thats normal because of the size of that spring. I guess I really need to get out to the lake tomorrow and test water pressure. The pressure at home off the earmuffs isnt the best at my house. Any other ideas?
                        Last edited by Nor-Cal-Angler; 09-19-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I wouldnt worry too much yet.

They do need really strong water pressure from the hose when they are on the muffs, otherwise the stream takes a while to get going and may not be all that strong.

Get it on the water and chances are it will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nor-Cal-Angler View Post
                            Ok replaced it, seems to still pee pretty weak. Took forever to start peeing, was kind of scared, but pulled the cover and felt water going in. Should I check the thermostat? I assume the thermostat is on top of the head next to the oil fill?
                            i am not sure of your modell but the thermostat shouldn't be hard to find. throw it in boiling water, if it doesnt open then that the problem. you can alway double check and remove it then start it to see what happens

Comment

I'm not sure about the DF115, but in the DF150/175, the wter from the telltale doesn't even go through the entire water jacket, and doesn't flow through the thermostat. It goes a different route, straight from the water pump through the oil cooler and out the telltale. Replacing the thermostat on my DF150 would not effect the telltale stream. My book indicates that the stream is not a sure fire indication of adequate engine cooling, but only an indication that the pump is functioning properly. I could get a good strong stream, but still have an overheat problem due to a clogged water jacket or a thermostat stuck closed.

Have you checked for any blockages in the tubing for the telltale?
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X