groove in shifter shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• groove in shifter shaft

can anyone tell me if there is to be a groove in the upper and lower shifter shafts where the joiner goes? 1982 dt25, i had problems with my old evinrude because someone got a long shaft and cut this shaft and while i was out in the bay one day the outboard started slipping out of gear and i had to be towed home. when i pulled this dt25 lower unit off i noticed that there was not groove and the shaft appeared to have been cut at some stage.

i attached a picture of an evinrude shaft mid 70's. this is what i am talking about!!
    Attached Files

Comment

shift rod, dt25, '82

Are you asking if your dt25 needs this groove? Or for the evinrude?
      I, am not sure, but thought your shift rod had a hole for a pin to go through, them a clip that held the through pin in place?

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
        Are you asking if your dt25 needs this groove? Or for the evinrude?
        I, am not sure, but thought your shift rod had a hole for a pin to go through, them a clip that held the through pin in place?
        this model has a brass rod connector, and the top rod has a groove in it. but different than the one picture does the same thing.

i am asking if my dt25 should have a groove

Comment

dt25, 82, shift rod

Well according to parts pix, your clutch rod/shift rod has a pin going through a hole at top, then the midsection shows a groove in the upper rod end, but doesn't show a groove in the matching lower rod end (or my pic doesn't show it?) That mates into the connector. So, I would say it doesn't have a groove according to the pic.
          Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
            Well according to parts pix, your clutch rod/shift rod has a pin going through a hole at top, then the midsection shows a groove in the upper rod end, but doesn't show a groove in the matching lower rod end (or my pic doesn't show it?) That mates into the connector. So, I would say it doesn't have a groove according to the pic.
            Hope this is helpful.
            it is the lower rod end i am concerned about. the pics i have seen show the same as yours. i had problem in the past and my lower end shaft that goes into the connector seems to have been cut by hand and not machine. this is done because a gearbox is replaced with a box from a long shaft and people are to lazy to do the right thing and change to shifter shaft over.

Comment

Working...
            X