DF250 died and won't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF250 died and won't restart

05 DF250 stalled just as I got on plane. Felt like someone pulled the kill switch. No alarms on the dash. Now it will crank but will not start. When key is ON I get the usual startup beeps then one beep every couple of seconds with no alarm lights. Fuel pump does not kick on when key is turned on. Checked the white wire and all was fine, 12V at the block on it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Svence

Well, the first thing I would check is the fuel pump itself.

If it is not coming on for a few seconds when the key is turned in, either it has failed, or, it is not getting power. You should be able to rig up a temporary power supply and see if it responds.

Otherwise, a trip to a dealer to get the engine connected up to the diagnostic system would be in order.

Comment

It works, it's just not getting power when the alarm is beeping. I was able to restart it once by pulling all the fuses, disconnecting the white wire and reinstalling. Turned the key, no alarm beep (usual startup beeps), fuel pump kicked on, fired up. Went out to run it again and it died as I came up on plane. This time no restart with fuse pull. I'm guessing I was able to clear whatever sensor/alarm was triggered and get it to restart, now I can't.

Are there codes that can be read that don't throw a dash code? Will the single beep be "coded" if I hook it up to the SDS?

-Svence

Comment

df250, 05, motor died

If your motor died as you said. And you know the fuel pump isn't turning on. Your motor would quit, just as you mentioned if the high pressure pump stopped sending fuel to the injectors. If the low pressure pump stopped, your motor would act like it was running out of fuel.
        You might check the connection and any fuses that go to the fuel pump.
        Check the fusible links on the side of the motor. If you have a blown fuse, it would be a good idea to check for WHY the fuse burned.
        If you have a repair manual, check to see if fuel pump is getting voltage.
        Or if any wires are shorted, or if fuel pump itself is shorted out.
        Good luck, let us know what you find.

Comment

Which pump do you hear when you turn the key (when it's working as it's supposed to)?

I pulled all the fuses from the motor (30 amp and 60 amp) and the 10 amp white wire one which were all good. Am I missing any?

-Svence

Comment

df250, not running

Ok, it sounds like fuel pump is working, but not getting power, so start checking connectors for corrosion or being loose.
            Am not sure if any other fuses. Check battery connections as well. Though it seems there is a connection problem nearer the high pressure pump (should be the one you hear), if you played with wires and fuses then it worked again.
            you mentioned disconnecting wires that may have triggered a reset? What wires did you disconnect? At the battery, or at the motor?
            Let us know.
            Last edited by Solarman; 10-03-2014, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Only wire I pulled was the white wire (bullet connector) under the cowling. The rest were just fuses. Going to take a better look today at all the connections in the daylight and see what I can find.

If I plug in a diagnostic cable will it tell me anything or just a "check engine" kind of thing?

-Svence

Comment

df250, fuel pump ours

If you only pulled white wire at motor, I don't think it would trigger a reset. Am not sure what the computer would tell you. Moonlighter can advise you more there.
                Checking why the pump wasn't running, or if pump was bad was my intention. But you answered that, and something you touched may be near where your problem is.
                Let us know if you find something. Good luck.
                Last edited by Solarman; 10-03-2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I think I found the issue. Not sure what part it is, haven't been able to ID it in the parts diagrams. Anyway, I pulled the ECU out and jiggled all the wires and the fuel pump kicked on (key was on already). Found this plug burnt. I guessing loose connection. Pulling it off gives me the symptom, replacing and she fires right up. What is it?

-Svence
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm not very familiar with the 250's, but that certainly looks like the problem area. Obviously a close check of the attached wiring is required, as well as a new plug. Perhaps a seal had been damaged and water got into the plug?

Let us know how the repair goes.

Comment

df250 pump issues

I'm in agreement as well. Looks like it is burned. I think you've found your problem. So you fix that, and make sure the new plug has a tight water proof seal. I think you'll be up and running again.
                      Good luck, happy boating.

Comment

Well I replaced the connector in that harness (it was pretty jammed up with melted plastic) wired everything back up and ran it. Everything works as it should. That one wire was a little corroded so I think water got splash in at one time or another, not sure how but the problem is all sealed up. I'm still looking for an entire new connector but I can't seem to find the exact replacement, regardless I'm back on the water.

Thanks for all the help.

-Svence

Comment

I am not sure if they will have the connector, but try here, have a look thru their many different connectors and you might find them. I have bought stuff from them in the past and found them great to deal with:

Connectors

Comment

connectors

And if you can't get the exact connector, then replace both sides with a watertight connector from an auto parts store. it wouldn't look the same, but it would work.
                            Glad problem is solved, happy boating.

Comment

Thanks. I scanned through their connectors and they don't have the right one, so I'm still on the hunt. Right now I'm just going to run it as it because I know the connection is clean and sealed. When I find the right plug I'll go and replace.

Thanks for all the help.

-Svence

Comment

Working...
                              X