89-93 30hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89-93 30hp

hi could someone help me out ,i have a suzuki 30hp longshaft believe to be a 1992 model ,it starts perfect, put into gear perfect, pull away perfect but once past half throttle the drive seems to disengage boat slows down engine is still running as at 3/4 throttle but iv lost all drive,if i reduce the throttle back down to half she will pull away again in gear ???????:

Sounds like the rubber bush in the prop has let go.

If that is the case, as soon as the engine gets much load on it, the hub slips and the engine revs, but you get no drive. Back off to idle and it will grip again most times. Often, you can idle along happily.

If that is what is happening, then take the prop off and it can be sent to a prop shop and get re-bushed.

Comment

thanks for the reply , i will look at the prop later on ,but i dont understand that i can go from a still position against the tide and the boat will pull away quickly up to half her speed then cut out pushing the boat but the engine is running at correct revs, the boat is only a light 15ft mayland boat ,then drop down to half power and she is away again ,also there is no noise ie clunking etc when this happens

Comment

I does sound a bit weird.

Normally, as I described, most props with spun hubs let go almost as soon as you load them up when trying to get on the plane. And then the engine revs like crazy, because it is like throwing it into neutral.

But one way to check is to make a scratch on the prop going across the hub to the metal prop hub. If you go for a test run and make it do the slip thing, come back and check the mark, if it doesn't line up any more you will know that the hub has moved.

If it is not that, are you sure that it is simply not just dropping a cylinder? A loss of power like that could be a crook plug or lead, or something worse. While checking the hub, pull the plugs and have a look at them, if one is markedly different to the other, that might be the issue.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply .will mark out the prop like u said later today and give it a try ,there is no miss fire i know for sure so hopefully its this bush u said , once again many thanks for ur help barry

Comment

89 - 93, 30HP, prop slipping

Manomanuk, caution. It may be a good idea to have a spare prop onboard, in the event you're original prop stops working all together.
            Don't wish you to be stranded. Good luck.

Comment

thank you moonlighter you were right ,have booked the outboard in to be repaired,also thanks solarman i did take another prop as u suggested but all was ok ......i just like to say this is one helpful forum once again thank you

Comment

Glad you have found the problem.

Solarman, great idea about the spare prop!

But the fun is, replacing it when you are out on the water!

Many years ago I had a boat with a 25jp Johnson outboard, spun the prop hub so bad that we had almost no forward motion. Had a spare on board.

Let me tell you, even with the motor tilted all the way up, hanging out over the back to undo the nut, remove the cotter pin, and take the prop off and getting the new prop installed, without dropping any of that stuff to the bottom of the ocean is one mean feat! And I was only about 25 at the time! Add to the fact that the area we were in was well known as a tiger shark haunt, and the adrenaline was pumping!

Comment

spare prop on board

Moonlighter... I can relate totally, I have done it...lost a good pair of pliers that way. Ha ha.
                  Not easy, but good trip down memory lane.lol
                  Another time had an OMC stern drive I/O, electric shift. Coming back from ocean, and last ten miles lost forward. Only option reverse, 5 miles of that, made it to military base boat docks, closest from inlet. All on board, were hauled to military police brig, as if trying to sneak on base. ha ha . That was an event. The outcome was the MPs on duty saw us coming up 1/2 mile from inlet, slowly & quietly, those I/Os were low in the water, and quiet. Pitch black night in reverse. Soon as docked, surrounded by MPs with weapons. Couldn't have been a worse reception for all 5 of us on board. Ha ha
                  The problem with motor, electric shift wires inside thick rubber shield, right before going through transom, forward wire broken, other 2 wires weakened/ almost broken.
                  Such memories, thnx
                  Last edited by Solarman; 10-10-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X