suzuki dt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suzuki dt??

hi there i am new to this forum, have a early suzuki dt15 i think. bought engine as non starter, it has no spark....
    ignition comprises 2 stator coils with 3 wires coming out, these connect straight to ignition coils. when ignition coils are disconected i am getting between 10-15 vac from each stator coil, but when i reconect ignition coils i have no ac voltage at all from each stator coil. it is puzzling me as im not familier with these ignition systems. any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Headgasket; 11-02-2014, 08:42 PM.

trying to upload somepics

Comment

dt15 ??, ignition system

Did not see any pics. Do you have two separate coils w/ spark plug wires coming out of each? It is very vague in my manual for dt15?? your motor??
      In one pic it states your motor has one CDI w/ secondary coil combined and shows 2 plug wires off that same combined coil. Yet, there is a paragraph that states your motor (if a dt15??) Has a separate CDI, and secondary coil system.

Am not real sure which you have. But, you should read AC voltage off stator, when connected to the CDI (condenser discharge ignition) it is converted to DC voltage and suited waiting for the pulse coil to release the charge to the secondary coil, then the plug. If not getting spark at plugs. I would check the kill switch, or off & on switch, it may have both? If either are shorted to ground they will kill the voltage to plugs. Both of these have to be open circuits (not grounded).

Good luck, it might benefit you more to identify the year & model motor you have, and get the specific shop manual for it. It will be more helpful in testing each of the items you have in your system. Again, good luck.

Comment

Dot something

hi, cheers for your response, it has 2 ignition coils fitted, there is no cdi unit fitted which suggests there should be and its missing.........I cannot distinguish the correct model and year because there is no tag to be found on it anywhere I have scanned through more or less every dt model parts catalogue that browns point marine have listed.............the shape of the engine block and head are more rounded than what I've seen for the dt15.
        From doing an awful lot of homework I've come to the conclusion it's either an old dt 28 or 25........if anyone could supply me with the specified ac readings that I should be getting out of the primary coils at cranking speed please, it would be awesome
        Thanks again Leo
        Nearly forgot.......the throttle control is by means of a rotating stator which in turn has a rod coming off it to activate the butterfly in the carb...don't know if this helps to narrow it down at all
        Last edited by Headgasket; 11-03-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

dt??

You might try looking for your stator & carb assy in parts pages, then look to see if that model has the 2 coils. Only a few motors have those moving stators.

Comment

dt

cheers for your input, in the brownspoint parts catalogue ive been through dt8-dt40.........cant seem to find one that was fitted with a moving stator i have about 15v ac out of each of the stator coils so what im going to attempt to do is locate and try a coil (the model with 2 ht leads coming off it and a built in cdi unit) im hoping this will generate a spark, but we`ll see........
            the joys of boating on a budget lol

Comment

dt???

Check out the dt 6. It used a moving stator base and might be the motor.

Comment

will do

Comment

dt

very similar setup apart from i have no sensor on my stator plate, just the 2 stator coils.....the hunt continues...lol
                  thanks again

Comment

dt???

In the parts listing, look up that sensor, and click on that sensors part number. Ths will tell you which motors, and the years that sensor was used on. Then check a year previous to that sensor usage. They added sensors to newer models, and your motor may be a year or two before the sensor was added. Likewise, you can check the part number for the stator plate, and find out which motors that was used on. That may help too.
                    Just a thought. Good luck.
                    Last edited by Solarman; 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Dt

tried putting the Nippon denso part number off flywheel and coils into the sites parts finder, it doesn't recognize them, going to go and take the stator off in a mo and see weather there is a part number on it and if so try that.....failing that.........not sure....lol

Comment

dt5.0 Mg??, 1980

Try looking up the stator on the 1980, dt5.0mg. If stator looks same click on the part number for the stator assy, it will tell you all the motors that stator was used on. Check coils and the CDI to see if any of those items match your motor.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Dt

awaiting arrival of my combined coil and cdi box,,, hopefully I will then have a spark. Took the boat out with a friends little 3.5 yammie ac,,,,,,,was great but need this main engine so fingers crossed, will keep you posted

Comment

Working...
                          X