DF140 Starting/Running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Starting/Running problems

My brother was out running our 95 Robalo earlier this year at cruising speed and suddenly the motor died without hesitation and couldn't be restarted and had to be towed in. We have an 04 df140 with only 70 hrs. Since we have owned the boat for 5 years we have had the fuel pump replaced twice. So that was my first inkling. When we brought it home I could get it to run for about 2 minutes if i primed the buld real good before it would cut off. I replaced the water seperator filter, the low pressure filter, low pressure pump, removed intake manifold and replaced high pressure filter with new fuel pump, fuel pump screen, and needle valve on the float inside the VST, as well as new NGK spark plugs. Once I got everything back on and started it up, it ran and idled for 10 minutes, and the suddenly died without hesitation. I also ran the Suzuki Diagnostic Software and it shows no codes have been thrown. One thing I did notice on the Software is and actuator test screen, which allows you to actuate the fuel pump electronicly thru the click of a mouse for about 5 seconds. If I remember correctly it ran the initail time but wouldn't turn on everytime you click that button. What is the correct way of checking power to the fuel pump, after i discoonect the connector? Am i testing voltage? or Ohms for continuity? And is there anyway to test the mechanical low pressure pump? After running for 10 minutes, i would think the spark should be fine. But if anyone can give me some pointers and to what i can check, I would be very grateful.

Disconnect the plug at the fuel pump, hook up a volt meter or test light stick the probe in the gray wire then turn the key to on, the test light should light or the volt meter should read battery voltage for about three seconds and go off. This is how the system works, when you turn the key to on battery voltage from the main control relay will flow through the fuel pump to earth in the ecm. When the ecm see's a crankshaft reference pulse it will start to duty cycle the ground depending on load.

Comment

I just gave you a bum steer, when you turn the key on battery voltage will be on the gray wire and stay on. With the plug connected, with your probe connected to the black wire when you turn the key on the test light wont light or the volt meter will read 0 volts for about three seconds, after that it will read battery voltage or the light will light because the ecm has removed the earth. You can test the pump yourself, make a couple of test leads and connect to a twelve volt battery.

Comment

Working...
      X