DF70A need help! Won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF70A need help! Won't start!

Hi guys! I am new to this forum and I hope I can get advice. I currently have a DF70A and with under 400 hours of use and regularly serviced. Recently I had a problem occur. After 7 hours of trolling and ready to call quits, I shut off my engine for about 30 minutes. Ready to start to move onto the trailer it wouldn't start! No indicator lights turned on the tach, fuel and fuel pressure good, no water indication on my fuel separator. I had to choke the engine to start, but as I bring choke down, it dies immediately on idle. Help! Has anyone had such an occurrence? Thanks!
    Last edited by pangelinan75; 12-02-2014, 07:14 AM. Reason: Missing words.

df70

Might be helpful to know year model? Do you have the manual for your motor?
    Sounds like it could be related to the idle air control (iac) setup, but i'm not real familiar with the 4 stroke systems. And I would think you should have a code flashing for that? Be patient someone with more experience will respond shortly. Good luck.

Comment

Since your DF70A is fuel injected, you would not have a choke. Only carburated models have chokes. It sounds like your IAC valve may have gone south. Or the IAC or (in the absence of an IAC fault code) the air passage which it controls could be dirty or plugged and in need of cleaning. It could also be that the throttle rod or throttle cable needs adjusting. If cleaning the air passages associated with the IAC, and throttle adjustments don't cure the problem, then suspect a malfunctioning IAC. Also have a look at your spark plugs, since you mention doing a lot of trolling. Make sure they are still in good shape and not fouled.

Since your DF70A is (I think) a 2009 or newer, it's possibly still under warranty if you purchased under the "Gimme Six" program. If that's the case, and you don't find any problems that would be solved by cleaning, have the dealer work on the engine under warranty.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I will look into it today and post an update.

Wayne

Comment

Update

I am grateful for the comments. Here is my update:

Took all comments and carefully followed each option, but in the end it was a dirty IAC. But during the course of this, it has taught me what to look for. Thanks again to all!

Wayne

Comment

Working...
          X