Starting cord jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting cord jam

I have a 2.5 hp 2013 with 15 hrs on it. I hadn't used it for 6 weeks and when I went to start it the other day I couldn't pull the starter cord more than half way out. I then pulled the spark plug fearing a damaged piston but without the plug in it pulled easily all the way. After reinserting the plug it locked up again when pulling the cord. I then put it in drive, disconnected the spark plug wire but leaving the plug in, and was able to turn the crank by moving the prop with some effort by hand. After that I was able to pull the started cord all the way out and the engine ran perfectly in my test tank.

This engine is advertised to have an "Easy to pull Recoil Starting". I really doubt that after this experience. Does anyone know how I can avoid this from happening again?

This sounds a bit like a situation I have sometimes with my Merc 9.9 kicker
    Something similar occurs if I leave it in the forward drive position when it shuts down Next time I go to use it, sometimes, the mechisim on the top of the flywheel remains engaged and prevents it from turning
    This usually clears by working the shift lever from forward to reverse a few times

Comment

It was in neutral when I shut it down for a 5 wk storage . Also, it turned freely in drive when the plug was out. I'm thinking that the only way I got it out of the compression cycle near top dead center was by putting it in gear and turning the prop by hand several turns with the plug in. I still can't figure out why pulling the cord pulled easily in neutral with plug out it didn't also move the single cylinder out of the top dead center position so that it would also pull easily with the plug in.

Comment

Cloudy I'm confused by the last part of your note
        something not moving out of TDC
        can you explain in a little more detail

Comment

2.5, 2013, recoil locking up

Sounds like it should be checked out under warranty. The locking linkage may need to be adjusted if it locks up in neutral, and throttle is in start position.
          Good luck, merry Christmas.

Comment

What I mean by TDC is top dead center with both valves closed and the gas air mixture being compressed before ignition by the spark plug. The fact that I was easily able to pull the starter cord all the way out with the spark plug removed and the engine in neutral to me eliminates having any problem with the recoil starter.
            The only thing I can come up with why pulling the starter cord completely out with the plug removed and the engine in neutral didn't correct the problem is that it kept returning to the TDC position. However when I turned the prop by hand with the engine in gear I was able to move the piston away from TDC and into a position with either the exhaust or intake valve open which would allow me to pull the starter cord completely out instead of having it locking up halfway out.

Comment

df2.5, 2013, recoil locking up

Maybe it didn't, or wasn't all way in neutral till you turned prop? May be that shift linkage needs some slight adjustment, still might have looked at on warranty.

Comment

Locked Starter Cord

There is no linkage to prevent pulling the starter cord when in drive mode. In fact I have started the engine by mistake several times in driv. In any event I will take your advice and check with dealer if this is a warranty issue. However, it may be out of warranty since it is over a year since I bought it.

Comment

Working...
                X