Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT 140 not reeving / constant beep sound

Hi guys,
    Recently we have purchased a boat which came with a Suzuki dt140 (mid 80's) on it. It starts nice every time however it doesn't want to go pass 3000rpm ,not to mention that in the water barely gets to 2500....
    There is a beep beep sound coming from the buzzer (not very loud) as soon as i turn the ignition on, and is there all the time ( with the engine running or not ). It is not the oil sensor because if i drain the oil out of it the beeping sound is much louder.
    The carbs have been cleaned , fuel lines checked ,new spark-plugs, compression is 125psi on all 4 cylinders, stator coils checked.
    I'm running out of options and the beeping sound is driving me crazy because I can't find its source...(

Could be the Gear counting coil? or a faulty water level sensor? It is the engine with 2 rectifiers so could a faulty one cause the problem?
    I have forgot to mention the the engine dose not have the efi gauge so I would not know if any lights are being displayed on the screen...

I NEED HELP PLEASEEEEE

st 140, mid 80s, max 3krpms

In most cases with carb cleaning, people tend to remove the tps assy for cleaning. Often the tps is not reinstalled properly, and it controls the spark advance related to the pulse coils through the computer. If gear count coil is reading the teeth of the flywheel, and motor is running smooth at lower speeds, then probably the tps is bad or not adjusted. Read your manual on the tps before attempting to change it. Am not familiar with double rectifiers, but if one is related to providing an initial voltage to energize special areas of the magneto for those same coils (high speed condenser charging coil, or tps), then that could be affecting you.
    I am not aware of a water level sensor, only temp sensor, and three gear count coils function provides the position of the crankshaft, it must be proper distance to teeth to read each tooth, or it runs rough & misfires on all cylinders.
    Let is know what you find. Happy holidays.
    Last edited by Solarman; 12-25-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

thanks for the quick replay

I have checked the tps and is adjusted and works by the book, however the gear counting coil is faulty.. I am not getting any resistance what so ever from it. I will replace that today and let you guys know.
      Why would the engine beep ? Could be in some sort of safe mode?
      Another thing ive noticed is that the engine starts and runs without the dead mans swithc on. The swith works however , on or off it makes no differance.
      Measured the voltage output after the rectifieres. On one is abot 10 volts, on the other it was about 4 .5 volts. Is that normal? Knowing that before the rectifires/ voltage reg i get 10v ac?
      The rwgulators are both wired in paralel and i get about 13v on the battery leads at 2500rpm... Maximum that i can get from that engine.

MERRY CHRISTMASS TO EVERYBODY

Comment

If not getting any reading from gear count coil then maybe it is running on default setting, which is strange, because my 140's (both) have shut down completely with bad gear coils? Maybe your connector on the wire from gear coil acts like it is unplugged (no continuity). Strange?

Also, you say kill switch doesn't work? There might be a broken wire from switch towards motor. Might be related to beep? But without an earlier book (wiring schematic) than mine (99), not sure.
        Good luck.
        Last edited by Solarman; 12-26-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Not familiar with the older motors
          But do these have the 100 hour oil change reminder like the newer motors?
          If so has it been reset?

Comment

dt140, mid 80s

On that dt140, mid 80s, motor... No Art, oil change for powerhead is burned with the fuel. And gear case oil is when you look at it, or each year. The 2 strokes are easy that way.

Tried to respond in that thread, and tried pmessage. Neither would submit, thought I would try this thread to tell you? Don't know why it isn't submitting? Ok, now it seems to work. Will try at other thread again.
            Merry holidays.
            Is it going this time?

Comment

Solarman your notes came through
              you are very correct it w3as 4AM or so

Comment

I dont know if it has been resset because i haven't own theboat for to long. We boight it as a project. The beep is a low pitch, not like when i removed the oil from the oil sensor and the beep was way much louder. I heard that in order to reseet it you need the killswitch which is not working. Ive checked the wires and they show continuity. But strange is this: the engine should not even start if the switch is depresed..

Comment

I have got the kill swith working. I dont know what was wrong with it but it just started working today. My engine starts with or without the ger counting coil, no difference. I will get a good one tomorrow and see if it improves my top end

Comment

dt140, mid 80s

Ok. Kill switch is working. And we'll wait to hear if gear counting coil fixes your alarm. As I said, both of my motors wouldn't start/ run with bad gear coils. But, I never tried to start mine without one. So, it may be a default mode if zero ohms, as if unplugged. But, put the new coil in and let us know.

Comment

Any luck on fixing your issue?

Comment

Working...
                      X