140 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 problem

I have a 2007 140 with about 200 hrs. Im am experiencing water in the oil. I changed the oil an ran it and it ran great up to 5800 rpm's.At first I thought the moisture might be from just sitting. This weekend the oil alarm went off and I shut it down and used the kicker. Any ideas what it might be and what cost I might be up against. Thanks

With that year and water in the oil it could be corrosion from the engine holder plug. Just do a search on here "engine holder plug". That could cause oil to rise from water. If you take your cowling off and side covers the plug is located just above where you hook a hose up to wash your motor out on the port side. Suzuki placed a steel plug in a aluminum block causing the two metals to have a reaction. I hope its not and it is something minor. Others Im sure will be on and give more advice. Good luck.
    2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Greater possibility would be a leak from the oil cooler, rather than engine holder.

Engine holder corrosion issue isn't one that is through to a water jacket, it is to the exhaust area. So unlikely to be causing oil in water. But worth checking that plug for corrosion anyway.

Again, do an advancd search here and you should find info about the oil cooler issue, it is quite a common issue on those earlier year 140 series engines.

Comment

If you ran out of oil in the sump I would say the oil cooler, but if your sump filled with water and turned the oil white, I would think corrosion in the engine holder or cyl head, Nothing to do with the engine holder plug,I don't think your engine has a plug. My df140 is a 2007 and has no plug, 200 hundred hours in seven years not a lot.

Comment

just asking the questioin...but could this be one of the problems that have come up because of a stuck float in the high pressure fuel pump???

Comment

Nothing to do with it mate, a stuck float in the vst allows fuel to travel up the vapour line and and fill the sump with fuel.

Comment

140 problem

My 140 has a steel plug about 3inches above the hose waster connection and another one about 4 inches to the right of that. I bought the motor in the crate in 2007 and was told they sold it to me as last years model because they did not want to put it on a new boat. I found a 2002 stamp in what looks like a freeze plug on the upper part of the engine. I ran it for about 2 hours on new oil and it is now milk white. There is no sign of discharge of oil to the outside of the engine. The oil alarm came on and I shut it down. I will right down the serial number and see if someone can give me date of manufacture. Can somebody give me a little education on what and how it should be analyzed to determine the problem. I don't just want to walk in and have them say complete rebuild or buy a new one from them. Thanks for any info.

Comment

These guys know ALOT more than me. That steel plug might not be a problem with your water in oil but it does need to be addressed. If it will come out you can purchase an aluminum plug to fit. If you go to brownspoint.com and on the left side click on parts number lookup. Then select your motor. The next page will give you serial numbers with years. On my 115 the freeze plug states 2007 as well as the serial number. Good luck with your motor. These guys wont let you down.
                2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Seaduck Just went to browns point and checked my serial number. It is a 2003 by the serial number. It was new in the crate when I bought it, but I think I have the receipt that they sold it to me as a 2006 or 2007. Probably won't mean anything this late in the game but might give them a call. Who knows where that might go. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                    Nothing to do with it mate, a stuck float in the vst allows fuel to travel up the vapour line and and fill the sump with fuel.
                    Red -- you absolutly correct - I must have be asleep when I made that comment...

Questions:
                    was there water in the old oil when you did the oil change?
                    re Alarm: did this go off when you first started motor after the oil change or sometime after it was warmed up??
                    and did you have an alarm condition before the oil change?

How frequently have you monitored oil consumption before oil change?
                    was there anytime oil was so low you could not read it on the dip stick?

I have not had one of these far enough apart yet, so maybe someone can comment on what the possibility of a gasket failure is.

Art

Comment

There was water in the old oil. I changed the oill I did not have an alarm until I had ran it a couple of hours and there was in the oil. When the alarm came on I shut it down and did not run it. Im taking it in tomorrow and they said they were going to run some tests.
                      Last edited by dparvin; 01-19-2015, 01:15 AM.

Comment

another 140 problem

Hey, I just bought a boat with a 2003 Suzuki 140 on the back.

While exploring the motor I broke the arm off of the power trim sending unit but did not start it that day. Now, a few weeks later I'm getting a check engine light and audible when I start it.

Is this because I broke the arm off the sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I am assuming that the piece you broke is the trim angle bracket, which sends trim angle signal to the trim gauge in the dash.

If so, no, it won't be the cause of an alarm.

The visible and audible alarm codes usually have a sequence of beeps and flashes. Before anyone can assist, we will need you to tell us what sequence you are getting.

Comment

I'll get that info and post it tomorrow. Thanks for replying

Comment

Alarm

I would Check the engine holder for corrosion , plenty threads on this topic

Comment

Working...
                              X