No announcement yet.

DT115 water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I will clean things up, silicon that area, install new water pump kit and see what happens. I don't think I see a reason to tear it down any further and it would take me another week to get the oring, seal, bolts, etc. It would be nice to write this off caused by dry pumping that I did for 1-2 minutes damaging the impeller.

BEFORE I REASSEMBLE, do you suggest I use compressed air or a cleaner (Saltaway) through the cooling chamber starting at the thermostadt to clean out things? For all I know, there could be a wasp's nest in there somewhere.

Regards,

David

Comment

dt115, water flow problemse

If you have a way to pump it up the water tube that might be good. If no way to pump it up, do you have a large tub that you can fit the motor down into, put the salt away solution in the tub and run the motor that way, for at least 15 mins or more?

Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Upon closer inspection, I don't like the looks of the upper water tube bushing. It is hard, brittle and cracking. I have a new one on order. I am not saying that is the problem, but it definitely needs replacement. It is item #5 on the Boat.net water pump diagram. Otherwise, things look pretty good to me. I will keep you posted!

Comment

Update time: Completed the lower unit project today: refilled AL plate shield area with silicone, correctly installed a new water pump impeller, gasket, plate, key, etc. Installed a new rubber groummet on top of the water pump case. There is STILL NO WATER FLOW. I took out the known good thermostadt and and brand new water flow sensor. Both were bone dry. Apparently I have some major salt corrosion build-up that broke free and clogged the flow. Tomorrow I will try to back-flush from the thermostadt hole with salt away.

This was on the earmuffs. I will also try submersed when I am able.

Thanks!

Comment

Dropped lower unit and flushed out cooling chambers with garden hose after soaking with vinegar. Did not really detect a blockage. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I did notice that 1 of the 4 water pump case bolt holes is slightly stripped (not by me) meaning that I can't get the 15-20 N.m torque on it. Apparently this weakens the seal enough that I don't build up adequate water pressure. I had hoped the other 3 bolts would hold the case on with enough force.

Next thing I will try is Make-a-thread on this stripped hole and see if that works...

I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Comment

OK, Solarman, she's back together as of yesterday and working fine. I had to deal with a stripped out water pump case housing bolt. I used Form a Thread.

BTW, I went with Quick Silver grease instead of anti-seize.

I am happy, but I wish I understood why it wasn't working before...

Thanks to all who responded.

The end!

Comment

Working...
              X