DT15 bottom cylinder doesn't fire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT15 bottom cylinder doesn't fire.

I had this issue last summer, I troubleshot the best I knew how and finally replaced the CDI. It seemed to fix the problem. Stored the boat for winter after taking it out a few times where as it ran fine. Took it duck hunting yesterday to find that again # 2 cylinder is not firing. Please help!!!

dt15, not firing on lower cylinder

I think I might re-install the old CDI unit you originally took out. Apparently when you changed it the last time you did something that corrected your problem once, and it might happen again? Reason I say, is because the same cdi unit fires for both cylinders, and if it is firing for one, it leads me to believe that something else is causing your problem. Also, what year is your motor?
    Good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

1997 DT15C, Serial # 01502-751587

It would be a great help if you would call me, I have many questions pertaining to the firing system. (907)654-9777. Thank you

Comment

No change

I replace the CDI with the old one. Still no fire on #2. I need someone to step me through this system. What inputs and outputs should I check to isolate the CDI?

Comment

???

The old CDI runs much worse than the newer one. It is hard to start. The newer one starts immediatly the older one takes playing with the choke and throttle. I re-installed the newer CDI but still no fire on # 2. What causes the CDI to fire #2 cylinder??

Comment

dt15, 97, not firing on one cylinder

Try swapping plugs and see if you get fire on bottom cylinder. Next, If no fire still on bottom, try swapping the two coils to see if bottom fires. if still not getting fire, then your cdi is the only other item shown in the parts page for your motor. a wiring schematic might tell you if your charging coil (under the flywheel) charges the cdI to fire both coils, or if it charges the cdi separately for each cylinder, as if it is two charging coils.
            Sorry that I can't be of more help. Good luck.

Comment

Maybe just bad luck with the CDI??

The two CDIs running differently lends me to believe that it just might be the second CDI to go bad in 8 months. As far as can tell there is only one ign timing sensor making the only thing not working for both #1 & #2 cylinder under the flywheel would be the seperate contact points on the flywheel. Please talk this over with any resources you have to make sure I am seeing this right. Oh by the way, do you know where I can find a new CDI for it? Had trouble finding one last time.

Comment

dt15, missing on one cylinder

Do a search on Google for the part number with the name of the part. Generally that will turn up those items for sale. Make see they have a pic of the part, and some places well guarantee the parts to work.
                good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

DT bottom-cylinder doesn't fire

As has been suggested already : Try a different plug , --- try the other coil (just cross the sparkplug-wires , top to bottom , bottom to top ) , check plug-wires and caps for continuity , remove the plugs and check for spark (hold the plug to a clean unpainted part of the engine and crank over) . Check for corrosion (wire to coil , wire to cap , inside of cap) . --- Go step by step ; PROCESS OF ELIMINATION ! ---

Comment

Got it

Turned out to be the CDI, I hope this one lasts longer the the one before. I guess that is the gamble when you are forced to rely on used parts. Thanks to the big push to eliminate the good ole two stroke. Why to go environmentalist, way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X