No announcement yet.

Trying to install new gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who might have the Garmin GPSMAP 400/500 Series plotters that are NMEA 2000 capable, you can get to the Suzuki engine data via: CONFIGURE>COMMUNICATIONS>NMEA2000 SETUP>DEVICE LIST>SUZUKI ENGINE

When you highlight SUZUKI ENGINE and push the select button, you'll get a list: the name LOWRANCE, referring to the interface, the model number of the interface (3.0), the interface serial number, the firmware version (mine is 2.5.0) and the engine hours. It does not list engine type (other than the brand) or any data specific to the engine other than hours.
    Last edited by Harper; 01-26-2015, 04:46 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
      For those who might have the Garmin GPSMAP 400/500 Series plotters that are NMEA 2000 capable, you can get to the Suzuki engine data via: CONFIGURE>COMMUNICATIONS>NMEA2000 SETUP>DEVICE LIST>SUZUKI ENGINE

When you highlight SUZUKI ENGINE and push the select button, you'll get a list: the name LOWRANCE, referring to the interface, the model number of the interface (3.0), the interface serial number, the firmware version (mine is 2.5.0) and the engine hours. It does not list engine type (other than the brand) or any data specific to the engine other than hours.
      Hi Mike

Thanks for that, useful information for those with a Suzuki networks and Garmin displays.

Comment

http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/92...7565daad9d8c09

the installation manual had useful information as to which of the Garmin 400/500 units are NMEA 2000 compatible

they are all NMEA 0183 but only certain ones are 2000
        Grant I don't remember if 0183 can be used with a 2000 network with a different colored plug??? I'm am now over my head..........

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
          http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/92...7565daad9d8c09

the installation manual had useful information as to which of the Garmin 400/500 units are NMEA 2000 compatible

they are all NMEA 0183 but only certain ones are 2000
          Grant I don't remember if 0183 can be used with a 2000 network with a different colored plug??? I'm am now over my head..........
          Not as far as I know Art. 2 different protocols, I believe.

Comment

Yes, protocols are completely different. To add to my earlier post, it's the Garmin GPSMAP 431 and 531 that are not NMEA 2000 compatible, the 536, 44x and 54x are all NMEA 2000 compatible. Also forgot to mention that the other thing that shows up on my Garmin on the communications NMEA 2000 device page is the LMF400, my SMIS gauge. I've never clicked on that before, so I think I'll go out and do that today, and see what it shows. ....(update...shows the same info, model, serial #. software version).

I've been of the belief in the past that the Garmin will not send out GPS info via NMEA 2000, but only via NMEA 0183. It sends the GPS coordinates to my VHF radio via NMEA 0183 for DCS position reporting, but I've not been able to have it provide any GPS data via NMEA 2000 that the LMF400 would recognize for computing MPG based on GPS speed and fuel flow. But the manual says it will provide posititoning to a VHF radio via either NMEA 0183 or 2000, so it must output GPS data via NMEA 2000 somehow. I'll have to look more closely at the comm configuration.

More update.....GPS data is being sent from Garmin to SMIS gauge now......maybe always was, just didn't have the gauge set right.
            Last edited by Harper; 01-27-2015, 05:18 PM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X