dt225 please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dt225 please help!!!

Hey y'all, i'm having some issues with my efi dt225. Long story short is that the boat belonged to my father who passed away June of last year. Prior to him passing the boat had been running fine without any problems and the last time we had the boat out (with my father) it had gotten water in the fuel tank and the motor of course did not want to run. My dad drained the fuel tank and put non ethonal fuel back in and cleaned out all of the fuel lines as well as all the filters and the motor still did not want to run so he replaced both low pressure fuel pumps and the high pressure fuel pump, the fpr, primer , high pressure fuel filter, injectors and rail with some good used ones from another running motor we had. The motor did crank up and run good but we never had a chance to test it before he passed away. Sooo a couple months after i decided i was going to take the boat out for a fishing trip. I fired the motor up and let it run for a good 20 minutes prior to leaving the dock and everything seemed fine untill i put it under a load. after getting on a plane and cruising about 300 feet at 4200rpms the motor starts surging a little then just looses power and if i try to go any faster the around 2000rpms it just dies and the longer i run it the worse it gets and by the time i get back to the dock (going 3kts) it wont even get up on the trailer with out dieing . since then ive put a new set of ngk plugs in it changed the fuel pumps and filters as well as the vst tank. im not getting ang warnings or nothing. any help would be great. i want to get to my dads favorite fishing hole to spead some of his ashes but i just cant make it with this motor acting up. thank you all for any help
    John,

dt225, year? running issues

Do you have a service repair manual?

Reason I ask, apparently in reworking all the items mentioned, ill bet the tps was removed, and never set up when put back in? The manual might help you, as well add checking the gear counting coil on the back of the flywheel.

Post your answers when able.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do have a repair manual and the tps was removed and installed by the book. i will have to double check that though. the tps was replaced after it started giving me problems

Comment

crazy think is that it ran perfect before it got water in the tank.

Comment

dt225, year? running issues

Yes, I read what you wrote, and the only thing with the gas system left to check, would be the float setting, and the needle valve seat. If you/he changed vst, did the float get checked, and was the needle valve seat removed to see if something could be lodged on the back side?
          If all that is good then we have to start checking tps, gear counting coil and sensors.
          Possibly compression? You also mentioned primer, what is that on your? My motors have the vst, but no such primer?

Post the info when able.

Comment

dt225, year?, running issues

It is also difficult to respond to many different posts on the same problems.

You can check with dealerships on Suzuki motors on their ability to read the codes on these older 2 stroke motors, but most are pushing for sales on 4 stroke motors, and I don't know if they can connect our motors to the computers? The monitor gauge will flash a sequence if it reads a code, but other than that, i'm not sure?

Comment

The DT225 is not a user friendly beast. The dealer cannot hook u up to a computer..you have to troubleshoot yourself and its time consuming but it can be done. do a search for "missing at speed " by me and it will give the outlines. First and easiest step...have you run this engine off a portable 6 gallon tank...tie it in right after the pump ball...the tank should have its own hose and ball...then we are going to check your fuel pressure at the rail...u need a 0-50 psi gauge usually 20 bucks or less at graingers or any industrial supply ...20 feet of 1/4 fuel hose a couple of clamps and a few t fittings and nipples...once we verify good or bad fuel pressure ...it opens or closes many doors..lastly be accurate at the speeds when failure happens...the computer driven failures happen EXACTLY at 3000RPM...Also exactly what year is your 225. I spent 2 years working mine and I got pretty good at it. A hundred bucks in homemade test equipment will be all u need...2 people help but I did mine by myself just takes longer and more beer. I still hate Suzuki but you can't let them win...lastly I can read the wiring prints for you but you need to be a 4 or 5 on the mechanical and electrical scale...Don't pay someone to do this...its cheaper to get a new motor but its a fun project...especially if its not snowing out

Comment

dt225, running , year?

When you/ your father replaced all those items you listed, did he replace them new? Or, were they used, low pressure pumps, vst, and all the other parts? Low pressure pumps if used can cause the high pressure pump not to have the fuel to supply the injectors for the motor.

If you can help us help you, we can all learn. Post the info we need.

Seaox230c, have tried to contact to say how impressed I was reading your post on your problems. Great read. Couldn't message you cause Your private messaging is turned off in the options.

Comment

Thanks...I will attempt to fix that private messaging thing...not so good at computer stuff

Comment

How would I know if its turned off or on

Comment

okay im going to try testing the fuel pressure and see what get under load. im not giving up by no means haha. i have tried a portable 6 gallon tank and it does the same thing. and yes the parts that were replaced were used however the motor they came off of ran fine, it was just getting water in the cylinders somehow so we took it off. thanks for the reply guys.

Comment

also i do belive it a 1996

Comment

Originally posted by seaox230c View Post
                          How would I know if its turned off or on
                          In the options panel you can turn on the private messaging.
                          I'm not that good either, but after trying to send a few messages.mine was off. Took me awhile to get it too.

Comment

Ok McKee, let us know what you find.

If parts were used, even if motor was running, when was it last running? How long has the motor been off the boat?

We need your help, to help you. You are our eyes, ears, and hands. without your help, we can not do anything.

Seaox has the same motor, I think he will help you the best right now.
                            Good luck.

Comment

I think my private messaging is active..someone try and send me something so I can see if it works...thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X