1998 DF70 Head Gasket Replacement. Low compression on 1 and 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DF70 Head Gasket Replacement. Low compression on 1 and 4

The service manual seems to indicate the power unit needs to be removed from the mid unit for the head gasket to be removed/replaced. Is there any problem with pulling the head from the block without removing anything else other than the obvious (timing belt, etc)? Seems like it should just be the 10 bolts after removing the valve cover and the head will come off.

I am getting low compression on cylinders 1 and 4. 2 and 3 are in the low 180s and 1 and 4 are below 100. I'm hoping there is a head gasket issue and replacing it could be a relatively simple task to restore compression.

Any thoughts on low compression on 1 and 4? Seems like since those are on the ends they could be subject to more leakage than 2 and 3.

Sounds more like a valve problem check your valves first

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to part out the motor. I'll check the valves out once I pull the head.

Comment

If anybody stumbles upon this thread, you do have to separate the power unit from the mid unit in order to separate the head from the block to change the head gasket. I am glad I decided to part this engine out as the water jackets in the head have some serious corrosion due to salt water exposure and probably a lack of flushing. Most of the parts are in good shape though its just all of the cooling system that encountered salt water has corrosion.

Comment

Working...
        X