DF200 2004 Exhaust manifold temperature differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF200 2004 Exhaust manifold temperature differential

I have used Suzuki Diagnostics Software to log the cylinder and exhaust manifold temperatures following an overheat alarm some time back during flushing.
    The Cylinder temperature is tracking just above 60 degrees celsius which is inline with the Thermostat opening temperature.
    I find however that the Port side exhaust manifold temperature is constantly reading at about 70 degrees celsius while the starboard side exhaust manifold is consistently lower at about 40 degrees celsius.
    Can anyone confirm my assumption that the temperature on both exhaust manifolds should be similar?

I have ordered two new thermostats suspecting that the port side thermostat may be sticking and will change the water pump at the same time to be sure.

I would start with thermostats, being in Brisbane I would get cooler thermostats. Did you get the warning with the buzzer and temp light, or did it flash the check engine light with a code.

Comment

Thanks for response redlowrey...
      Fail safe cut in a few months ago after I had started the motor which had sat idle for several months... flow from pee hole was minimal at time but subsequently sprang to life... since then I have been out on the water and put 8 hours on the motor without issue and motor continues to run well without any warnings...
      I have just purchased diagnostic software to complete my tool kit and this showed up exhaust manifold temperature differential which I was oblivious to up until now though now with the knowledge of it, there is a noticeable difference in temperature when I place my hand on either side of motor near manifolds so it is not a faulty sensor and cylinder temperature is fine at a bit above 60 degrees C.
      Software shows that the fail safe was triggered 8 hours back because the cylinder temp was 94 degrees C and both exhaust manifolds were at 108 and 112 degrees.
      I have read more postings and a blockage also seems a possibility so I will pull the foot off next weekend and replace the water pump and see if any vanes have come adrift and also check to see if any debris present in vicinity of thermostats when I change them out...

Comment

It probably has a build up of salt in the water passages on that bank, change the thermostats and run it in a drum of clean water with a container of saltaway for a couple of hours at around 1000 rpm, It might dislodge or dissolve the salt I don't know. At least it was only the caution system letting you know your reaching the upper limits of temperature.

Comment

Problem solved...
          Starboard thermostat was stuck open so replaced both thermostats and thoroughly flushed it with Salt Away.
          I put the boat in at Bribie Island last Friday and with the laptop connected to the Suzuki Diagnostics Software, put it through its paces and was relieved to find both exhaust manifold temperatures at or about 63 degrees celsius. Cylinder temperature rose to about 75 degrees when at constant 5000 revs but exhaust temperatures remainder in the 60 to 63 degree celsius range.

Comment

Working...
          X