Flushing Suzukis'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing Suzukis'

I just purchased a 2950 Pro-line with 2006 225 Suzukis'. The PO gave me a dual hose connection with the quick connects for the flushing ports. He advised to run the engines while flushing, but no more than 5 minutes or they will overheat. I have and have had newer motors (Evinrudes) and I just connect fresh water to the flushing port and run water thru without firing up the engines. I have been advised not to run the engines during flushing and also to follow the instructions of the PO. What is the correct procedure?
    Thanks in advance,
    Pete
    Last edited by Intrepid; 05-26-2015, 05:49 AM.

NEVER run the engines while the hose is just connected to the flushing port. Never!

The flush ports are only to be used when the engine is turned off, as per your own previous experience.

While some motors may be designed to be run in this situation, the Suzukis are not. If the PO had read his owner's manual he would have seen this instruction.

I would also check the impellers is the PO has run them like that, they may well be burned.

If you do get earmuffs so you can flush that way, make sure you get the dual feed variety, as the Suzuki's so like to get a really strong supply of water to the pump.

Comment

Unless the dual hose connection includes muffs to constantly supply water to the water pump, I wouldn't run the motor(s). Flushing for only 5 mins doesn't sounds like enough tome to open t'stats and get salts out. If running in salt water.

Being in Seminole, could just launch in a lake nearby, run for 15 mins, and motors will be flushed without overheating. I miss being in Florida.lol
      Last edited by Solarman; 03-13-2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Moonlighter, not sure if I've ever seen dual feed muffs? Mine have dual cups, but only one hose connection.

I am with you completely on not running without muffs.

Comment

This is what I mean by "dual feed" muffs, where the water is fed to both sides of the muffs:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
            Moonlighter, not sure if I've ever seen dual feed muffs? Mine have dual cups, but only one hose connection.

I am with you completely on not running without muffs.
            This is what I mean by dual feed muffs, where water is supplied to both sides of the muffs:

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Pete

Comment

Hey guys,

You just might have saved my 2 new 2014 250A Zukes.

I had a pair of 150 (2010) and always used the muffs.

Because the new engines have water intakes and also Low Water intakes below, I am using the hose directly to the port on the rear of the engine. I asked the local Suzuki shop if I could run the engine while hooked up and he said YES, as long as it is in idle! When I told him what the manual said, he reiterated what he stated above.

I will say that the water "pisser" is very strong and lots of water comes out of the prop hub as well. I have flushed it this way about half dozen times so far but I will try to get a pair of dual water flush muffs.

Is there anything I have to do about the low water pick up? I do like running the engine to get the thermostats to open and this way, I get Salt Away up in there as well.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Fish N View Post
                  Hey guys,

You just might have saved my 2 new 2014 250A Zukes.

I had a pair of 150 (2010) and always used the muffs.

Because the new engines have water intakes and also Low Water intakes below, I am using the hose directly to the port on the rear of the engine. I asked the local Suzuki shop if I could run the engine while hooked up and he said YES, as long as it is in idle! When I told him what the manual said, he reiterated what he stated above.

I will say that the water "pisser" is very strong and lots of water comes out of the prop hub as well. I have flushed it this way about half dozen times so far but I will try to get a pair of dual water flush muffs.

Is there anything I have to do about the low water pick up? I do like running the engine to get the thermostats to open and this way, I get Salt Away up in there as well.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
                  You could just put a piece of gaffer tape over them while flushing. But don't forget to take it off when you are finished!

I am amazed at some dealers and mechanics who disregard what the owners manual put out by the manufacturer says.

Question: Who would I trust.....
                  Answer: the people who built the engine!

After salt water operation, it does need a good 10-15 minutes to flush out thoroughly. I tend to run on the muffs for 10 minutes, then stop the motor and put the hose onto the flushing port and let water run thru for another 10 mins while I clean the boat.

Comment

Moonlighter,

Thanks much for your great explanation.

I actually tried the tape over the low water pick up and it worked fine BUT scares the hell outta me if I forget it.

BTW, because of issues with my 250's, I now have brand new 2015 300's installed.

I did try the tape on them too but again, I would hate to miss them.

I just used some blue painters tape figuring if I forgot to take it off, it might just get soggy and fall off.

That's a poor excuse so I will just have to set up a reminder on my iPhone.. LOL

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X