2007 DF175 power trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF175 power trim problem

While using my boat this weekend i trimmed the engines all the way up to clear a line that got wrapped on the stbd lower unit during fighting a fish. I left the engines trimmed all the way up and kept fishing. When it was time to depart the port engine trimmed down fine but the stbd would not do anything. Neither the binnacle switch or the engine mounted switch would do anything. Motor would turn over fine so the engine/key switch has power. I had to turn the release screw to get the engine back in the water. Any idea what could be the problem?

I assume the motor is still in the up position now. Do you hear the trim relay on the motor clicking when you activate the switch? There's often a corroded relay ground that's the culprit, or the tilt limit switch has occasionally been known to cause a full up stuck situation. I'd suspect either the relay or the tilt limit switch.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Check the trim switch limiter on the motor it is probably stuck in the open position

Comment

Thanks guys. As soon as i can i will get to my boat shed and check the trim limit switch. I wasn't aware that there was such a thing till i started doing some research this week. To the question no there is no sound at all coming from the trim solenoid when either switch is depressed up/down, throttle mounted or engine mounted switch. The engine is down now as I manually released it with the screw on the side. On another note where the wires come into the solenoid there is a glob of silicone. I suspect the previous owner might have had an issue there as the other side has none. This is a new to me boat that I bought in September so I am still learning this beast.

Comment

Brought the boat into the mechanic shop since my trouble shooting efforts failed. Turns out the power trim motor is out. I would have never thought that part would be so damn expensive either.

Comment

Working...
          X