DF 250 charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 250 charging issue

Hi guys. I have a 2009 DF 250 with minimal hours on it....maybe 50. When not in use it is stored in a clean cement garage building in Bahamas which is most of the time and can be for up to 4 months at a time. Last week I was out in it and all appeared fine until I noticed on my garmin that the voltage was only 9.2 volts. I switch from battery 1 to battery 2 and it was the same and then I switch to both it also remained at 9.2 volts. I chugged into a harbour and turned off the motor and when I attempted to restart it I needed a boost. Once running it again read 9.2 volts. I decided to running it to the ramp to take out and back to the garage which was around 5 miles and at all times it varied between 8.9 - 9.2 volts with it being 9.2 volts when we turned it off at the ramp. The engine ran perfectly though but again it would not start. Back at the garage I charged the batteries and when running on the hose it now reads 11.7 volts...running beautifully but something isn't right. I check the voltage on the motor and it matches the garmin.

How old are the batteries?
    Regardless of how much used batteries seem to expire on or close to useable life expendancy. Ie 36 months or whatever length you purchased
    Have the batteries ever lost virtually all voltage or gone dead? That drastically shortens battery life
    If they are 2009 vintage batteries they are way past the useable life
    Art

Comment

Thanks Art. The batteries have never gone dead but I have ordered new ones and next month I will test with them and will advise the outcome. The only question I have is...why would the engine itself not show 13 - 15 volts even though the batteries might be in poor condition?

Comment

df250, 2009, charging issues

Do you have a manual? You might check the rectifier/regulator, the regulator adjusts the voltage output of the charging system.

The Bahamas? probably better to just take a new one with you?

Good luck, post back how its going.

Comment

I pulled this out with regards to checking the system
          to check the real output, the batteries need to be fully charged, first
          ====
          In case the battery has a reading of 12.4 from the voltmeter, it means it is low (discharged) and should be recharged. A battery fully charged has a reading of about 12.6 volts.

You should connect the voltmeter to the battery as before but not the charging voltage and this should be done after charging the battery or jump starting the car. 13.5 to 14.5 or more volts at idle should be produced by a charging system that operates normally.
          ===
          now this is in the auto world, but should be similar to us boaters..
          however, If you are only getting 11.7 V your battery is probably gone.

I only suspect that if the battery is shot, what happens is you get a bad charging reading because the bad batteries are pulling down the overall reading you get from the system..

Battery life is 3 to 4 years,, you didn't indicate how old your are. Also, do you keep your batteries on an automatic trickle charger, like a battery tender while you are away?
          Art

Comment

Working...
          X