Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most compatible display with df200

Hi Guys

Im in NZ and have got twin 2004 DF200's on the back of boat.
    Im in process of trying to get fuel comsumption data etc upto the dashboard via nmea2000.
    Have any of you had issues with certain brand gps/ff combo units?
    Ive heard that some units arn't that compatible with the suzuki's, any feedback much appreciated.
    At this stage im tossing up between the new Gen3 lowarnce or the new garmins.

Also hook up of the older 2004 outboards is supposed to be interesting, has anyone hooked up nmea sucessfully to the older engines?

Many thanks

2004 & newer: DF200‐DF250;
    Moonlighter is our expert
    The above I clipped off Lowrance site
    It appears your 2004 engines should work just fine
    I have the HDS Gen 2 and get everything but oil pressure
    With a couple of calibrations of fuel consumption the reading is now within a tenth of a gallon

The Lowrance web site has a good diagram of wiring
    Art

Comment

Both Garmin and Lowrance will work fine in terms of data display.

Although Lowrance would be preferred because the Suzuki interface setup process and any software updates can only be done via Lowrance units. I would go with the HDS given the choice.

Your 2004's should be fine. You will need to connect the interfaces to the SDS port on the engines (same plug that the tech plugs laptop into) and will need to use the "reverse K8 adapter cable" because on the older engines like yours, the SDS plug is a round connector whereas the intrface cable has the new swuare plug.

Otherwise pretty straightforward.

Parts list:
      2 x Suzuki engine interface cables
      2 x Reverse K8 adapter cables
      1 x Lowrance NMEA2000 starter kit (include all the parts, T pieces, terminating resistors, power nodes etc) that are needed to create the NMEAa2000 network.

Installation Process:
      Connect interface cables to engines SDS port using the adapter cables, run the cables back thru the rigging tube to the boat and plug each into its T piece there. Connect the 2 T pieces together. On one end of the T piece set add a terminating resistor from the kit. Other end of T, attach long extension cable from kit and run this to behind the dash and connect it to the side of a T piece. Connect power node from the kit to the boats electrical system and plug into leg of that T piece. Attach final T piece to that one and run shot drop cable from Lowrance display to the T piece and add the final terminating resistor to the open end to close it off.

Installation done.

Go into Lowrance menu, fuel setup and set up boats fuel tank arrangements (ie 2 engines and 2 tanks) and tank capacities.

See this paper from Lowrance, will help you understand:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

Note: this paper says you have to configure the interfaces but the new interface cables come loaded with software that auto-detects the engines so you don't do most of that yourself any more. Just set the boat setup as 2 engines/2 tanks or whatever you have, name each engine as starbord and port as applicable, and you are done.

Note2: the engines keys have to be turned on in order for them to be "seen" by the network and to enable the config process to be done and for engine data to be displayed on the Lowrance.
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-20-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

*** guys thats exactly the info i needed.
        So damn excited to get started.......will let ya know how it all goes.

Any ideas on the best cheapest place to purchase these parts, that will ship to NZ
        Seems the dealers here in NZ have tacked a fair few dollars ontop.

Once again thanks so much guys

Comment

I have bought these parts a few times. Check prices including freight from Brownspoint Marine, then get onto ebay and check Precision Suzuki Marine, I found their prices were good and freight quite a bit less expensive.

Also, check International Marine (Suzuki), Mike looks after many THT forum members but you will probably have to email him with your list of parts and ask prices as I don't think they are listed on his website.

There is also one online Suzuki dealer here in Aus, so do some price checking and see how you go.

By the way some suppliers may offer to configure the interfaces for a few$, but if you get the Lowrance you will be able to do any required config yourself, it's very easy.

Keep us posted, and if you run into any problems don't hesitate to ask. The hardest part of the job is usually getting the cables thru the rigging tube and back to the boat, you'll need to take the cowl and side covers off the engine to get at the rubber grommet that leads to the rigging tube.

Cheers
          Grant

PS my Zuke goes really well on my Surtees Workmate 5.5! Build nice boats, you Kiwi's do!
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-21-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Moonlighter

Ive bought the parts from Suzuki Outboard Parts & Accessories - Browns Point Marine Service, LLC
            2 x interface's, 2 x k8 reverse plugs and the nmea kit i'll get with the garmin 7407's when they come out.

My Suzuki dealer has told me that im wasting my money and the engines wont talk to my displays cause i need to run an extension cable from the engines up to the control box, then into the interface and run nmea from there.
            Is this guy pulling my leg, or have you setup systems like this before?
            cheers, and good luck with the cricket tonite

Comment

IMO, your dealer is an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about. But that's just my opinion. Regrettably, many Suzuki dealers simply don't know much at all about the connection of these engines to NMEA networks. They really need to spend some time and attend the training programs that are run for them by Suzuki.

You might be interested to know:

1. The instructions and procedures set out in my earlier post on this thread have worked for dozens of others, if not hundreds.

2. I wrote an article about this topic for Australian Fisherman and Boatowner magazine nearly 5 years ago that, for a long time, was used by Lowrance and Suzuki here in Australia as their primary reference document. I still get people referred to me by Lowrance customer service to help people set up these networks with Suzuki engines.

3. And I have set up my own boat with this network, plus Suzuki powered boats for numerous friends here in Cleveland, Australia.

4. If you care to research further, you will find a lengthy thread on the worlds biggest boating and fishing site, The Hull Truth, that I started and which I regularly contribute to, and which is one of the most widely referred to sources of information about setting up these Suzuki NMEA2000 networks.

Consider all that, and make up your own mind about who knows what they are talking about.

Comment

Kiwi, be smart, listen to Grant (moonlighter) he's well known here setting up the nema systems, you can bank on him.
                I don't know what your dealers problem is but Grant will walk you through it all and it will work. No doubt about it. And he will get it done the right way. Afterward you can tell your dealer he doesn't know what he's talking about.
                We're very proud of Grant here.

Good luck.

Comment

Yip, thought that might be the case, he wanted to sell me everything.
                  Ive ordered the parts allready, and looking at the diagram you attached moonlighter, i couldn't understand either why he said it wont work, his version was basically the same thing with a couple extra connectors and leads.........desperate for business i guess.

Next problem, my Suzuki dealer is obviously a dickhead. For sevicing can a get a full proper service done at another branded dealer without the interfaces etc to talk to the suzukis......or i really need to travel to get to another suzuki dealer........*** not really alot of these suzuki guys around in auckland

Once again cheers boyz

Comment

No worries Kiwi!

More importantly, it will be interesting to see which team walks away from the MCG with the World Cup on Sunday! Aussie, Aussie Aussie! I think the black caps might have some trouble adapting to a full-sized ground instead of one of the mini-grounds you play on at home! You have to hit the ball at least 85 meters to get a 6 over here, you know!

Re servicing, look, 90% of the time, any mechanic who knows 4 strokes will be able to do for you.

The diagnostic system comes into its own if you have problems, but if it's just a routine service then I wouldn't worry about a dealer doing the work. The leg is also really pretty much the same as any other outboards leg too.

You can actually buy the diagnostic software and cable online, I gather. Some members here may be able to comment on that further.

Comment

Typical aussies, already talking tuff and havent even walked onto the pitch yet.

Im betting on a Aussie/NZ final, so that will be interesting.

Just a note, i received my parts from "Browns Point Marine" today, so shipping from USA to NZ was under 5 days, amazing service.

Anways i repost once im all hooked up and running.......or when the kiwis kill the aussie's in the final

Comment

Look forward to it.

And by the way, the Australia vs India semi-final was on last night at the SCG in case you missed it! Let's just say the Indian team's poor summer didn't get any better last night.

It's all black vs g-o-l-d and green at the MCG on Sunday.

For our US based friends on the forum, we refer, of course, to the World Cup Cricket. NZ vs Australia in the final. At one of the worlds best sporting stadiums, the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Expect a packed house of 100,000 fans.

Although our 2 nations fought together in a couple of world wars, you could say there's just a little friendly rivalry between us!
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-27-2015, 01:06 AM.

Comment

World Cup 2015 won by the Aussies!!!

Woooohoooo!

Well played Kiwi's. Put up a great fight!

Comment

Hahahaha, you must of got straight onto the computer to brag, i wasn't looking forward to post today.....lol
                            Well done Aussie, well deserved.

Now bring on the rugby season, a bit more exciting than the cricket

Comment

Rugby? What game is that? I had heard it was some kind of strange NZ religion?

Makes as much sense to me as a game of gridiron....

Comment

Working...
                              X