2003 df115 suzuki outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 df115 suzuki outboard

I just bought a key west 1720 with a suzuki 2003 df115 four stroke on it. The seller said he had a older Suzuki 2 stroke on it before and just used the old wire harness for the four stroke. He said there was some issues with the starter and said he had done some rigging up with the controls. Should I just replace the wire harness with one made for the Suzuki 4 stroke? Also does this engine send up the info where I could use a digital tach that displays engine information or is that only on newer models?

Hi Lucas, and welcome to the forum.

It's always a bit difficult to say what to do when faced with a boat that has, kind, of, been cobbled together. We don't actually know what you've got there in the package!

These 4 strokes are very different to their 2 stroke predecessors.

They have an EFI system that enables some trouble shooting and warnings to be shown, but you must have either

(A) the specific Suzuki 4 stroke tacho with the 4 warning lights on it; or
    (B) the suzuki SMIS digital gauge
    to get this info.

If you've still got the original 2 stroke tacho and related harness, control and gauges, then you would be best served to get the proper 4 stroke harness and engine control and then you will be able to get the proper 4 stroke tacho mentioned in (a) above to work. If there is a problem, you will then get the relevant warning codes and alarms on the tacho and this helps you figure out what to do to solve it.

Regarding getting engine data from your engine onto a suitable display (ie a digital engine data display/gauge or a GPS or sounder screen), your engine is right at the start of the years when this became available.

Officially, Suzuki says engines from 2004 onwards can output NMEA2000 compatible data, but we have seen plenty of engines back to 2002 successfully connected up. Especially those like your DF115 which is from rom the DF90 to 140 engine family.

So I would say you have a very good chance that yours, if it is a 2003 as you have been told, will work. So first, check the engine year so you are sure what yours is!

If you want to purse the digital data option then come back to us and we will give you info on how to do it and parts required. It's usually pretty much plug and play.

But don't expect it to be inexpensive! The network cables, connectors etc will cost about US$200, then the display - the existing SMIS style engine data gauge is about US$240. It is about to be superseded so some might be available for a bit less in the near future.

What GPS/Sounder model do you currently have? It might be possible to save the cost of the digital gauge and go direct to your current MFd if it is a suitable model.

At the end of the day you will need to decide how much to invest into an older engine. If it's in good condition and has been looked after properly, it could last many more years.

One thing to note re engines from that 115hp family and year: there is a round steel plug about an inch or so across (like a welsh plug) with a hex hole in the centre in the "engine holder" that is known to corrode thru to the exhaust. You should check it and if any doubt, either remove and replace it with an alloy vision or weld the hole over. Problem is caused due to a steel plug into an alloy body. What was Suzki thinking at the time - we will never know! In later models the engine holder modified to eliminate the plug altogether.

This plug can be found on the port side of the engine, just a couple of inches below the fresh water connector for flushing the engine, you will probably have to take the side covers off he engine to see it properly because it is below the cowl.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-30-2015, 12:09 AM. Reason: Can't spell, apparently!

Comment

df115, 2003

Moonlighter, is this another motor that the engine holder plug should be checked? New owner and such?

Comment

Moonlighter, thanks for the detailed response! I called a parts dealer, brownspoint.com, and they said they have the harness for my engine but to be able to get the data for a digital tach or the tach with the 4 light up warning lights I would also need an adaptor for the harness that is like 85 bucks. So I will probably end up going that route. I will post an update once I get everything installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
          Moonlighter, is this another motor that the engine holder plug should be checked? New owner and such?
          That's a good idea Ralph......Lucas, when you have your motor in to the dealer to fix the steering arm, have him also look at the plug on the port side of the engine holder. If it's the original steel plug and there's no corrosion problem yet, have him remove that ferrous plug and replace with an aluminum one or weld the hole closed. That'll save you a lot of headaches in the future. (reference post #2 in this thread http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...-problems.html )
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Moonlighter, if I could use my use my gps/sounder as a gauge instead of spending $240 on one i would definitely like to go that route . I have a Hummingbird 597 CI HD DI. It is a combo gps/sounder unit. Im going to do some research myself but if anyone knows if that can be used for sure please comment!

Comment

Lucas, it looks like you're out of luck using that Humminbird unit. According to Humminbird, it is not NMEA 2000 compatible. All the engine data is sent via NMEA 2000 network to a piece of equipment that can read the data. Here's the link where I got the info on your Humminbird:
              Humminbird | 597ci HD DI Combo
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

damn, looks like ill be going with the tach then. thanks harper

Comment

So I took her out for a test run and in forward she ran great! There was one time it completely cut off though and when I tried to turn the key I got nothing, no turnover or anything. Then after 3 or 4 minutes she cranked right up. Since the previous owner used the old 2 stroke Suzuki wire harness and cables I think that may have something to do it with it. The reverse did not work. After speaking with the previous owner, I believe he had rigged up the linkage. I called my boat mechanic and he said more than likely I just need to change the ends on the cables, and that very well could be the cause to the problem of my engine not wanting to crank sometimes. 95% of the time she cranks right up, no problems. But every now and then ill turn the key and get nothing..no turnover or anything. But then a few minutes later she will crank right up perfectly. Anyone familiar with issues like these?

Comment

I can't believe he used the 2 stroke harness for the 4 stroke, and got it to work. I wouldn't think they were compatible at all. Are the main harness plugs the same (at the motor)? But stranger things have happened. Still, the monitor and gauges, for diagnostics, should have more wires than a 2 stroke does?

The cables (shift and throttle) could be the same, but would be interested in what he did to ”rig” it? And why no reverse? Be interesting to see how he ”rigged” it, or is something else causing ”no reverse”?

Sitting for 3-4 mins before starter will turn over the motor? Do you wiggle the shifter after those few mins (might indicate a shift, or neutral switch problem), or anything different? If nothing different, might check/ clean battery connections, and terminals at both ends?

The only reason for a delay in time like that, a thermal interruption, or pressure related interruption? Ok, possibly corroded battery cables (shouldn't the solenoid still click?)? Is there a power relay on the 4 strokes that might affect the starter circuit?

Post back if you find out anything. Good luck

Comment

wire harness and adaptor

Ive heard mixed stories about the 2003 Suzuki df115 being able to work with the gauge with the 4 indictor monitor function. I am about to buy the new style harness along with the adaptor that will fit to my motor. Is there another separate cable I need to buy to get the monitor function to work? I believe the wire harness part number I'm getting is 36620-93J52 and the adaptor part number is 36620-93J20.

Comment

Working...
                      X