Was I had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I had?

I bought a Suzuki DT85, serial number 8501 231 101 from a guy who said it was a runner, when he sold the boat last year. The new owner didn't want the motor, just the boat.
    It looks to be in good shape, little saltwater, original clamps, etc, the controller shows little wear.
    It was on a makeshift stand, but had no fuel line or battery, and I could not run it.
    I trusted him and gave him $500.00.
    I got it home and went to tinker. I have a 93 DT30 and she is sweet, so I thought I might get the 85 running and put it on my new old boat ( 59 Glasspar Seafair).
    The control and wiring needs to be figured out still, and the battery runs were cut and in need of replacing, so....
    I thought I would just jump the starter to get an idea of what I had.
    It clicks and struggles to turn the flywheel, even tho I can turn the flywheel freely by hand.
    I removed the plugs, they looked good, and I saw no visible signs of metal or other bad hints.
    I turned the flywheel again and felt the small probe I move up and down on the piston head of all 3 pistons.
    I then jumped the starter again and she pushed great air out of the open plug holes. I installed the plugs and once again she would not crank the pistons.
    I removed the plugs again, put the gear in forward ( at the motor, linkage has been disconnected ) and jumped it again, the prop turned great and air blasted out the plug openings.
    I can't figure out why the plugs make a difference. Is the exhaust port the cause?
    Am I all wrong in my thinking?
    I am not trying to fire her, just want to see if all turns before I go any further.
    Any ideas?

Thanks, sorry to be a downer on my first post but I need some real help here, oh, he said it was an 89, is that right? I am thinking, but not sure, as it is kinda hard to figger out the date, but I think its a 92 or 93......

I actually think you got a good deal. Assuming you got the wire harness, gauges and controls for that motor. And assuming you don't need to modify the shaft length for your glasspar boat.

However, you should not turn it over anymore unless you put the water pump in water, and spray 2 stroke oil into the throats of each carb, and little in each cylinder for now as you're turning it over. It has been sitting for some time, and you don't need the impeller fragmenting into pieces.

It appears to be a 1992 motor from the serial number you gave us. I'm sure you could recover your money plus some if you had to part the motor out.

So, not turning over good could be your cables, or method of jumping, a stiff-dry motor, and yes, possibly a bad starter?

Your next step, should be to get gauges and controls hooked up, and motor bolted on transom (should match up to existing holes-if any). Mounting controls, or cutting holes for gauges (could mount in a board for tests) can wait until you fire the motor up.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

That makes great sense.....
      Everything is there, but the cables are shot. Have to get the fuel line fitting as they broke it off.
      I thought it was good deal, trim looks good, and it has a great SS prop.

Thanks

Comment

The throttle and shift cables need to fit your boat so they have enough play/slack for your motor to turn from one side to the other without kinking.

The fuel fittings (twins on my boat) i'm using are just straight barbs, right into the gas lines.
        the old fittings kept allowing air in.

keep us posted. good luck.

Comment

Thanks, I will surely keep you guys informed with updates and more questions 😛
          I noticed the plastic cover for the CDI unit is missing, as well as the relays cover on the opposite side. Do you know if other size motors will fit? I guess I can look up the part number and then cross reference them to see...
          Any recommended part dealers online?

Comment

If you look up part number (here) online for your motor, click on the part #, or item name. This will pull up a page that shows every motor and year that part was used on.

But, before spending money on missing parts, I'd ask the previous owner if he still has them, he just might, if you have phone/ contact #. Worse case, he says no, and you're back to buying them.

Good luck.
            Last edited by Solarman; 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Make sure the battery your using is fully charged. With the plugs out you will not have any compression therefore even the weakest battery will still spin it over.

Comment

Well she is running.......

It had a blown fuse in the motor.
                They said they disconnected the oil injection system...
                I found it still hooked up but the flow sensor so plugged up nothing could get through and the alarm was sounding when running.

Cleaned everything up and she is oiling fine.

I have to pull the cover to lift the manual choke lever when she is real cold, has a solenoid, but I haven't tested it yet.

Noticed what might be an oil leak up top of the motor, not sure, could just be residual crude, was very light showing......

Got the gauge to work, tho it has a cracked face (glass) and for the life of me I can't get it to unscrew, or remove it to replace....
                Any ideas?

Put new cables on her and have some new battery leads coming. I will put the battery in the cabin, has a built in spot for it.

Had to search for the electrical holder covers, both the CDI and relays. Should have those soon.

Well, I hope to get her in the water soon, then I'll know for sure if I got a runner.
                Last edited by eddie haskell; 05-24-2015, 12:44 AM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Working...
                X