Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Suzuki DT15C - Lower Unit questions - WITH PICTURES

Hi guys,

I have a 15hp suzuki that I got for $300 on craigslist. When I bought the mot​or the guy told me the lower unit had problems, and he showed me where it was busted up. I accepted the damage for the price, because the motor seemed to run great.

I have it on a 12 ft V-hull jon boat, and it pushes me and my 11 year old son a solid 20 mph...with a busted prop (new one on the way). So, it runs great.

To cut to the chase - here are some pictures of the damage to the lower unit that I have in question. (QUESTIONS BELOW PICTURES)

Ok, so my questions are:

1. How much longer do I have to run on this? I just take it out on a lake...and don't go further than I would want to row back...so...

2. Is it worth fixing?

3. How bad is the oil situation that is running down the side? I just noticed this. It is not wet oil that is actively there...but it is residue...from it being there recently.

I appreciate any input you guys can offer.

Yes, it does look like someone cut those areas. Not sure how long it will stay there. It might stay for longer than you think? But, if you hit shallow ground it could break off too?

You have a 2 stroke motor, if you're seeing some oil residue it may be from exhaust. Shouldn't be a problem idling around, but might be much louder when on plane. Still shouldn't hurt much.

Good luck.post us if any problems occur.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

What do you mean by "cut"?

So you think that might be my only worry is hitting shallow ground and ripping the lower unit off? If that's my biggest worry, you just put a smile on my face.

I was just concerned that water getting in there might hurt it, but the more I think about it...as long as it is fresh water - it will probably only help it.

I will definitely update the post if something happens in the future.

Happy Boating guys!

Comment

It just looks like the front edge before bolt, is straight like it was cut the rest looks like broken or corroded. I've seen people that put those wide planning fins on motors. For both sides to be similar, I'd think some one attached one on that motor, that started the damage? But, think you can run fine for awhile.

Good luck, happy boating.

Comment

My bet would be that someone broke it trying to get the leg off to service the water pump. Maybe jammed a wedge in there or a wrecking bar!

Comment

That's also a possibility, it does appear to be inline with the drive shaft?

Comment

Cool guys, thanks for your input! Hopefully that means I won't have any trouble getting into the lower unit in the future for servicing needs.

I appreciate the response guys, look forward to communicating more on here!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X