Suziki 3.5DT 1981 starting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suziki 3.5DT 1981 starting.

Just acquired this engine, sent of for manual yesterday, having problems starting, from cold does the chock need to be right out, secondly what is the correct position on the rubber throttle grip, I can see a arrow and a round circle, what has to line up between the fast and slow indicators, Cleaned the carb out yesterday, in a ultra sonic tank , took it to part, removed float took of the bottom first, screwed out the mixture screw, now this might be now wrong, how many turns does it need to be screwed out? Thanks in advance

Typically tiller throttle is toward starboard to accelerate (counter clockwise looking at motor) and toward port to decelerate (clockwise). Don't suppose yours is any different. Manual chokes are typically OUT to choke and IN to release. Not sure about your carb.

Comment

Suziki 3.5 DT Starting

Need more info, fuel mixture setting, and position of throttle grip as requested.

Comment

Air mixture idle screw should be roughly 1.5 turns out from lightly seated closed. Fine tune after running for a few hours by looking at color of plug. If too dark -rich- open screw 1/8th turn. If color is too light -lean- close screw 1/8th turn. Repeat again after running for a time.
        Choke out when cold starting, if tank is used pump bulb up, throttle turned up a little above idle. Pull cord to start. Once motor warms push choke in.

Good luck.

Comment

Suzuki 3.5 DT Starting

Have now got the answer to my problem, Having problem is with the recoil starter, Now Getting it started with the pull cord around the flange on top of the engine, full choke a little throttle, push choke back in as soon as its started. Can start it every 2 or 3 turns, have taken the recoil starter off, and ordered new spring and two plastic bushes, the starters are very basic thank goodness, I couldn't get a good pull on the rope, something was binding, I can only think it is the plastic bushes, there are two ,one sits inside the other, they are split, I assume they expand and contract when pulling and releasing the pull cord.
          The engine runs fine, pees water very well, so will be happy when parts come and starter repaired, I paid only £101 pounds for the engine, new fuel cap,£29. Starter will cost me under £30 for spring and bushes, so the final cost will be £160, but I will have a brill engine.
          Last edited by Binman; 04-26-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X