1988 DT40 Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 DT40 Voltage

I have a 1988 DT40 that has a voltage regulator. However, when I run the engine at higher RPM, it is putting out around 16 to 18 volts. Does anyone know if this normal. The battery is new and fully charged, The voltage reading was checked with a volt meter and my Humminbird fishfnder and both were close. Idle voltage is about the battery voltage. Thanks.

Anybody. ???????

Comment

You say battery is new, and fully charged. Generally the voltage regulator adjusts for load and charging of battery. It's high is usually 16-18 volts. I'd say leave it alone. If it stops charging then worry about it. You have only the one battery, correct? Starting and trimming motor do draw a goodly few amps, maybe it's just making them up.

Good luck, and happy boating.

Comment

Voltage

Thanks for the reply, Solarman. I have 2 batteries. 1 is a starting battery and the other is a trolling motor battery. Only the starter batt is hooked to the motor. My concern is that my manual states that the DT40 engines that came equipt with a regulator should be 14.5. I guess you are right. Dont fix it unless its broke.

Comment

Working...
        X