Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with DF15 - backfires

Hello,

New to this forum. Recently obtained used, but in good condition DF15. Took carb apart and cleaned out all jets, chambers with carb cleaner.

Ran test yesterday and starts right-up. However, noticed lack of power and backfire through air intake.

Idle speed - the motor runs well. At higher RPM - runs good. However, from idle to "run" it coughs and backfires.

Took a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB5crnl_WJo

Is it ICM faulty or mixture too lean (although I have cleaned the carb out well)? I have the shop manual for this engine and basic repair tools - I don't think I would be able to check the timing with timing lights (I have none of such equipment).

It seems to me that the timing is off - late - thus the backfire. But it is all based on my prior experience with motorcycles. This is my first outboard.

Please help with your knowledge to figure out what the issue is.

don't know specifics on your motor
    however it is important to let the forum know what year and exact model number your engine is..
    I see you have the shop manual.. is that the full service manual??
    there are a couple of manuals out there like the SELOC that are okay, but don't cover many of the details

You mention it is a carbed engine.. again I don't know specifics but it could be running be a bit lean. I would sure start with a strobe and check timing.. your manual should tell you how.. Many auto parts stores, like O'Reilly's loan out some shop tools, so look around.

Art

Comment

Df-15 2006

Hello Art,

The year is 2006 of DF15. Will check into parts store for the timing... Very strange behavior of the motor. I am about to break my head over this - late ignition would cause difficult cold start, but it fires right-up.

The manual is the shop repair manual. But it lack troubleshooting aspects, only repair.

I was hoping there are experts on this forum who can give pointers by watching the video...
      Last edited by rushin2; 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

we can now see with that info if someone else that may know you engine better can help

Art

Comment

Hi art

Did you get to the bottom of this? I'm having the exact same.problem

Thanks

Comment

There is an idler jet hiding under the main jet. Take the rubber plug out and there is the main jet. Take that out and underneath is the idler jet......tiny friggin hole.

Comment

Same problem guys. Who did you go what was the solution?

Comment

Originally posted by rushin2 View Post
                Hello,

New to this forum. Recently obtained used, but in good condition DF15. Took carb apart and cleaned out all jets, chambers with carb cleaner.

Ran test yesterday and starts right-up. However, noticed lack of power and backfire through air intake.

Idle speed - the motor runs well. At higher RPM - runs good. However, from idle to "run" it coughs and backfires.

Took a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB5crnl_WJo

Is it ICM faulty or mixture too lean (although I have cleaned the carb out well)? I have the shop manual for this engine and basic repair tools - I don't think I would be able to check the timing with timing lights (I have none of such equipment).

It seems to me that the timing is off - late - thus the backfire. But it is all based on my prior experience with motorcycles. This is my first outboard.

Please help with your knowledge to figure out what the issue is.
                How did you go Rushin2 ??

Comment

Matt, it might be more helpful if you just give info on your motor, and mention what you have tried?
                  Sometimes pulling up old similar problems that sound like what's wrong, misleads everyone trying to help you?

Start with motor info, then (in your best description) what happened when the motor stopped running normally?

Has the motor been in storage (sitting idle for extended time)? Running good one day, then the next different? Did you change anything, or try anything?

Good luck, post back on what you have to say.

Comment

Matt I would bet you have a blockage of some type, pull it off and start again, also use fresh fuel don't use premium fuel

Comment

Working...
                    X