Can't pull cord on Suzuki 2.5 outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't pull cord on Suzuki 2.5 outboard

This is the third year I've owned my 2.5 outboard.

When I put it away last fall it was running great.

Attempting to start it for the first time today, the cord will only pull out about 6 inches before jamming. It will retract, but will not pull properly.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue?

The motor was stored in an unheated garage in freezing temperatures over the winter.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Has your model got a gear shifter? If yes make sure it's in neutral. If no, make sure throttle is in start position. There is a locking mechanism if throttle is too high on some, and also if not in neutral.

Post back when able, good luck.

Comment

Yes the motor was in neutral and the throttle was at the appropriate setting...which is why I'm so puzzled what could be wrong with the motor after starting perfectly well the last time I ran it in the Fall.

Comment

Can you tell if the motor turning over at all when you pull the rope out? Any indication at all that the piston is moving? Or is everything stuck solid?

Could be dealing with a seized engine, or simply a jammed or faulty pull-start mechanism.

You will need to do some more diagnosis and report back so people can give you informed suggestions.

Maybe pull the spark plug out and see if that makes any difference, and if you can then detect any piston movement. If not and you can get a scope in there to have a look at the bore etc it would be helpful as you should be able to see signs of rust etc.

Where I live in sunny Australia we don't have to winterise our motors, so I can't help you too much there. But, if you didn't take any of the recommended winterising steps, you could have some serious damage if there was water in the engine or cylinder head passageways and it has frozen during the cold and therefore cracked things and allowed water to enter places where it shouldn't be.

Or, condensation may have gotten into the cylinder and rusted the rings to the bores...... Hope not, but possible.

As stated, some more diagnosis at your end will be required, then report back.

Comment

Can you give us a little more info on your motor? You said 3rd year you owned it, does that mean it is a 2012 year model, a 4 stroke motor? Do you still have a warranty?

It may be that the mechanism that locks it is stuck, and may need a little lubrication to free it up? Can you remove the cover, and manually turn the flywheel by hand? This might let us know if the motor is locked up.

Post back and let us know.

Comment

would try shifting to forward and reverse several times to make sure the engine is truly in neutral..
            my Merc kicker has a mechanism on the top of the flywheel cover that prevents starting it when it is in gear..
            If shifter is not centered correctly,, you won't be able to turn the engine over..
            art..

Comment

Just looked at mine for the first time in 2 years. It's been lying on its side,the right way up,with new oil in it. I couldn't pull the rope so undid the plug,gave it a little pull and a load of oil came out!! (It has been standing the right way up for a few days) I only looked at it because a friend wants to borrow it.I lost my dingy in a storm a couple of years ago and haven't got round to replacing it. Any thoughts?! This is my first post,so not sure if it's o.k. To add on to this existing post. Hope so! Cheers.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

I handed off the motor to a friend of mine who is good with engines, and he found the culprit right away. Oil had seeped into areas that it shouldn't have gone, over the winter. That created pressure and inhibited the pull.

It is strange because I have always put the motor on the correct side when storing it.

He recommended that I store the motor upright instead of on the side, for future winters.

Cheers,

CC

Comment

Hi - I have the same problem. Engine always stored upright but was laid on its side for what should have been only a few days. COVID lockdown then kicked in here in the UK and was unable to access the boat - so that's 4 months on its (throttle arm) side. Sounds like it's the oil going where it shouldn't. Question is how I sort out the problem. Can the oil be removed without any major dismantling?

Comment

Hi tinminer. I have the same problem. How did you resolve please?

Comment

Working...
                    X