140 water in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140 water in oil

I have a lot of water in the crankcase oil. I have removed the oil cooler hoping it is the culprit. It looks good and the O ring looks good. If I blow on the water intake while plugging the outlet I get air out of the cooler. If I put pressure on the cooler there is no air escape. How do I know the cooler is ok?

Originally posted by Inlander View Post
    I have a lot of water in the crankcase oil. I have removed the oil cooler hoping it is the culprit. It looks good and the O ring looks good. If I blow on the water intake while plugging the outlet I get air out of the cooler. If I put pressure on the cooler there is no air escape. How do I know the cooler is ok?
    It will be more like corrosion from the head or the engine holder, because the engine oil pressure is a lot higher than the water pressure, it will push the oil into the water jackets and out through the prop and empty the sump. What year and how many hours.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
      It will be more like corrosion from the head or the engine holder, because the engine oil pressure is a lot higher than the water pressure, it will push the oil into the water jackets and out through the prop and empty the sump. What year and how many hours.
      It is a 2004, rebranded by Bombardier as a Johnson. I bought it new, don't know the hours, but estimate that hours are in the range 500 to 750. It has only been partially used in saltwater during the past 2 years, comprising about 10% of the hours. The water in the oil occurred in saltwater, but was left undiscovered for 4 weeks until I performed routine maintenance, so I have added concern about corrosion that occurred during that period, although it seems to run fine, and the plugs are in perfect condition. I drained the oil which is like pale, yellow paint, refilled and ran only 15 minutes at idle using muffs and the new oil was heavily contaminated with water and yellow. The oil is drained now pending my next move. The oil cooler is known to be a prone to trouble and is purported to cause water in oil. I replaced the plug in the engine holder several years ago. It was not badly rusted and was easy to remove.

Comment

Oil Leak

A simple test would be to disconnect the water lines to the cooler and the test. It won't hurt to run a test with a dry cooler

Comment

Inlander,
          Do a search on this site or on Google for "engine holder corrosion". It's an ugly mess if you are at the point of getting water in the oil. If this is the culprit, the only fix is to remove the powerhead and replace the engine holder.
          Good luck!
          -Shawn

Comment

Just throwing it out there. It does sound like water in the oil but just make sure its not fuel dumping in either? You can smell the fuel in the oil if it is.

Comment

Working...
            X