pilot hole no water stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot hole no water stream

Suzuki 2000 DF50TLY--new to boating-purchased last fall. Maiden run last week, very slow for 1/2 mile then increased speed with good results. Reduced rpms and motor sputtered to almost stall, was able to slowly return to dock. Water stream was exiting pilot hole. Put in neutral and increased rpms which resulted in no flow from pilot hole. Gas is fresh with new water separator filter. I replace the thermostat, water pump and lower and middle grommets on the water pump and water tube. Still no pilot flow. Water continues to exit from the shift rod shaft and the two forward ports on the top of the lower unit. Help! Ken

Hi Ken

Did the engine seem hot? If not, it could simply be a blockage, bit of sand or weed stuck in the pilot tube - have you tried getting a length of heavy nylon fishing line 100lb or more) or weed trimmer line and poke it up the pilot hole while the engine is running in the water. Give it a shove around to try to dislodge the blockage. The engine running and pump pumping can help to flush it out.

By the way, what condition was the old impeller in? If it had bits broken off, you might have a piece stuck somewhere in the water cooling passages.

Did you replace the water pump housing as well as the impeller - ie a complete water pump kit?

Comment

I pulled the rubber end to the pilot hole and it was clean. Put a wire in the hole with the rubber end out but only went in about an inch. The water pump impeller was like new. I did not replace the housing but it was shinny and clean. Replaced the impeller, drive key, plate and gasket. I also shot air into the pilot hole with the lower unit removed and it came out but not out the water tube. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Did you hook up/ rig up, and connect hose to the water tube (where it goes into pump) when lower unit was off, to see if tube going up is leaking? Does tell tale work?

What do you mean, water comes out around shift rod, and front Ports?
        What upper and lower grommets did you replace?

Ok, this is a df50, 4 stroke, it probably is different than mine.

Inspect pump housing, it may be damaged, and sending water flow from pump up drive shaft chamber instead of tube to motor. That would force water out shift rod connector, and front holes (Ports?).

Good luck, post back if you find anything.
        Last edited by Solarman; 06-12-2015, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I removed the lower unit-pump housing looks fine. Put water in pilot hole and it came out the water tube. Put water in water tube and it did not come out of the pilot hole, but rather the drive shaft hole. I do not believe that the motor over heated when this issue first began. Would any damage be caused if I removed the thermostat and flushed.

Comment

If your water tube is NOT sending water to engine it WILL overheat. If water is short cutting to drive shaft chamber, you have to fix this issue. There is a reason it's coming out the drive shaft area.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X