Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a DT 20

Hi,

I have a DT 20 02003 - 011638. I'm not sure of the age but using the chart I think it is a 1990 but also haven't found anything about 1990 DT 20 and am afraid I am wrong. I recently dug it out of my dad's place and hasn't been used for 4 years. I'm going on second hand from my dad but last time he used it the motor cut out on him after sustained trip at near full speed. When he tried to restart it, he couldn't budge the starting pulley. After waiting 5 minutes he managed to restart but noticed the motor wasn't expelling water and had 0 power. He brought it in to a mechanic who indicated the problem was behind the exhaust cover and too costly to repair. I am hoping he means the labour and not the parts. I have tinkered with trucks doing mostly bolt on upgrades and servicing and would like to try to repair this motor. However I recognize I need serious guidance. Is there anything like the old Haynes Manual for these motors, that give you a step by step guide of how to go through taking apart, servicing, and reassembly?

Thank you

Best I can tell it's a 1990, as well. But checking browns point marine, they don't show any dt20's after 1988. In 89, they went to dt25's, until 2000. This doesn't mean they didn't make it, but you might have to call one of the Suzuki dealerships (browns point, or boats.net to get the run down on that year and model.

To find if worth trying to repair:
    I would Check compression on the motor first. If poor compression, it may have overheated, and possibly damaged rings, cylinders, and walls. Next, you should remove head(s) to see if visible damage to cylinder walls (if damaged walls, can they be repaired?). I might even pull the exhaust cover plate, and visually look at rings and walls through the exhaust Ports. Any visible damage to rings, pistons, walls could cause prices to be very high, unless you can get used parts.

The manual you get should be the Suzuki repair manual for your motor. It may be a little more costly, but will tell you what you the specifics for your motor.

I looked at browns point, and boats.net (above link for parts), and neither show the 90 model dt20. You should call each to see why they don't show your model.

Good luck.

Comment

I believe the year is found in the model number, not the serial number. There should be three letters after the DT20 model number on the ID plate. The last of the these letters indicate the model year: F='85, G='86, H='87, J='88, and so on.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As for finding the year I took a picture of the tag to show there is no other letters that go with the DT20 02003 - 011638. Is there anywhere else I could check for the year?

Here is a picture of the tag Imgur

Comment

Well, so much for that theory, huh? Are there no other plates?
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
          X