Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

I just got a suzuki 9.9 outboard. I think that it is a 1978 model. It starts up and runs fine as long as it has full choke. I ran it for a while on full choke because I figuered that it was just cold and needed to warm up before I turned the choke off. So I ran it for about 15-20 minuetes and I still could not take the choke off otherwise it would just die. If somebody could tell me how to fix this problem I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Did motor sit up for a while since last used - may need carb/ jets cleaned? Has anyone adjusted the air mixture screw? If yes, it needs to be set to manual specs?

You might be able to run a fuel cleaner additive in the tank, this might clean up carb / jets some?

Good luck post back.

Comment

I ran some cleaner that was supposed to clean jets and all the fuel stuff but it did not work. I guess next I'm going to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning.

Comment

Can we assume you are using new fuel and there is nothing wrong w/ the plugs
        Before you tear the carb out try this trick
        I have a Merc 9.9 notorious for getting the low speed jet plugged
        I found taking a compressor and appling back pressure through the overflow hose off the top of the carb it clears the problem
        The running symptoms are as you describe only with choke
        Art

Comment

Working...
        X