DF 2.5 - no shear pin in propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 2.5 - no shear pin in propeller?

Seems they eliminated shear pin few years ago: see parts 14 through 16.

Plate with bolts #11 covers the gear case, Bushing #13 is inside the propeller, Nut# 15 and Cotter Pin# 16 are on the threaded tip of the shaft, separate from propeller. The shaft has splines - you can see groves inside the Bushing# 13.

So what will break if I hit an obstacle?
    Bushing# 13 is bronze, not some plastic, it's pressed semi-permanently into aluminum propeller. Besides, $151 is a bit high for a sacrificial part.

For comparison, older model: see Shear Pin #16 . The shaft in older model is smooth, no splines, no bushing and no threaded tip with nut at the end.

The splines in prop are mounted in rubber that will slip if hits an object, no more shear pins, but if prop starts slipping too much, it can be rebuilt.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks. Not sure what is better - replace $1.50 shear pin or rebuilt $120 prop, could be $50 or 60 in labor.

After some digging I found that they still supply a prop with shear pin to some places, apparently not to US market. In this case they make a prop of plastic, not aluminum. Which I like even less than slipping bushing, 'cause in plastic this shear pin can work the hole out before breaking.

Comment

Working...
      X