Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DF140 Sunk in Saltwater - worth $$ for spare parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Sunk in Saltwater - worth $$ for spare parts?

Looking for opinions /advice here: I have a DF140 on my boat. I found another DF140 that was under water for a couple weeks (salt water), then pulled out and just left in the back of a truck for 3 weeks. It is a 2006 and looks to be in good shape. The guy wants $500 for it as it sits.

I know the powerhead is scrap, but is it worth $500 for the other parts? I could salvage the lower unit, electronics, etc. for spare parts for mine. What do you think - is it worth it or is everything above the lower unit junk?

Thanks,

If you have the room to immediately dismantle every part, scrub in a parts cleaner, oil all the metal parts place in plastic bags till you need them, or sell them. All electrical parts, clean every connector then seal in plastic bag with small cloth with rice inside.
    If able to do all this for all parts, then you might be able to salvage most of it, for sale, or store for possible use later?

Providing there wasn't anything wrong with it before it sank?

Good luck.

Comment

Out of curiosity, where are you located? Not that I'd try to buy it out from under you, but I could use some parts off of it that would lessen your immediate purchase price by a good bit! I don't think it'd be worth shipping though, so that may make it difficult. I'm in Mobile, AL.

Comment

Solarman: The engine was not running when the boat sank, and the owner said the engine ran perfectly before it sank. (My brother was on the boat with him when it sank so I know this is true). I am just concerned that it has been sitting for almost two months now with no cleaning - but the cylinders and crankcase are still full of water.

Auburn - I am in the Seattle area.

Comment

Ouch...couldn't possibly be any further away. I would have loved to work out a deal for the cowl and side panels!

Comment

I would be interested in splitting the load with you. I am in the Puyallup area. I would be nervous about anything electronic, but I imagine the engine holder and oil pan could be salvaged. $250 a piece? You take the lower unit, I take the rest? You can email me at wedocq692@gmail.com
            -Shawn

Comment

Guys:

I purchased the engine and am working on it now. I only plan to keep a few items off of it. So if anyone needs parts - let me know.

WEDOCQ - sent you emails. If you are interested please let me know.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X