ECU issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU issues

I have a DF70 with a 99E10 ECU that shows no issues on the diagnostic program nor does it give me any alarms via the beeper and lights on the tach. But it limits my rpm's to 2800 max. I acquired a 99E14 ECU and it shows an exhaust manifold alarm both on the lights and beeper and the diagnostics program. However, it appears that my 1998 model year engine serial number is prior to when they put exhaust manifold sensor on the engine and I still only get 2900 rpm's. I have cleaned the entire fuel system except for the vapor separator but I can hear the high pressure pump operating. I could use some suggestions as to where to look now. Also can the 99E14 be made to function as a 99E10

Have you checked the neutral throttle switch on the engine? If this switch is faulty or incorrectly adjusted, the ECU will think the engine is still in neutral and will not allow it to rev beyond about 3000rpm. Sounds very much like what you described.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. There is a place on the computer diagnostics program that tells me if the engine neutral switch is on or off. When the engine is in neutral the switch says it is on and when I put it into forward the program says the switch is off. So I believe it is working properly.

Comment

Then check where you bought ecu, there may be a jumper or a way to disable that feature, or they may swap for an earlier model ecu -being the wrong one for your motor?

Just thoughts, but understand your situation. Good luck.

Comment

I could use the GOOD luck. I have the old ECU back on and changed out the high pressure filter that finally arrived. I managed to get an additional 100 rpms. Any thoughts on there being an issue in the vapor separator. When I cleaned the rest of the fuel system I got a pint of water from the fuel water separator and a 1/4"s x 3" dia layer of sludge out of the old high pressure filter. I have checked all of the filters since the cleaning and have not found anything. The low pressure pump diaphragms were ok. I have also managed to get the cooling system working as it should. Should I check the exhaust from the manifold to the pro. The exhaust manifold is clear

Comment

Can you clarify some things please.

When you say that revs are "limited" to about 2800rpms, can you describe in detail exactly what happens when the engine reaches that rpm? How is the engine running when it hits those rpm's?

The rpm limiter from the neutral throttle switch will cause it to stumble and break down. Does that same thing if you rev the engine in neutral. If you've ever heard a race car engine when the car is going down pit lane with the pit lane limiter on, it's the same as that.

Is that what's happening, or something else? The more specific info you provide the better.

Are you sure it's just not a bad spark plug or plug lead? How do the spark plugs look?

Next, you've now mentioned that you've had water and contaminated fuel in the system, which really was a pertinent fact that would have been good to know at the outset. This can often be associated with ethanol fuel. Have you replaced fuel lines from the tank to the engine? Ethanol fuel will break down the internals of some fuel lines and badly restrict fuel flow, with obvious results. Dirty injectors may also result. Checked all of that?

Comment

Isn't it amazing that some important details, such as fuel contamination - an extremely important fact, just slip by, doesn't get mentioned?

So basically your motor was running fine until you ran some bad fuel/ water through, and this may be what started your problem in the first place?

Was there trash in the watered-fuel also? This too can tell us what more you could have problems with? You might have pieces of trash blocking the needle valve seat restricting fuel entering the vst, and possibly the injectors? Maybe even the pickup in the fuel tank?

It does help us to help you, by knowing all the facts.
              we aren't here to pass judgment, but to help you get your motor running.

Post back when able, good luck.
              I'll see if I can get some batteries for my crystal ball to know more.
              Last edited by Solarman; 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

It seems my last reply did not post. I have not changed out the fuel lines from the tank to the motor. I have done the following - new plugs, new fuel pressure regulator, new high and low pressure fuel filters, tried to drain the vapor separator tank, emptied fuel tank and replaced the fuel, new water/fuel separator, used computer to check operation of plugs and injectors - all seem to be working -, complete clean/repair of cooling system. Engine surges out of gear at 3000 rpms and runs very smooth in gear but only up to 2900rpms.

Comment

I'm having the exact same issue with my 1999 70 Evinrude Four (which i understand is same as DF 70). I have confirmed that the neutral switches are being picked up via the SDS console. Only difference to your scenario is its happening for me at 3500 RPM. Every thing is pointing to a (now) bad ECU, but i'd hate to drop $ on a guess. The only other thing that i've noticed is major discrepency between what the tach is displaying and what SDS displays. Also on startup , tach does not do the sweep to indicate engine hours. The only warning data i see is injector failure, check harness, which i've done. I;ve even run the injector cut off test and ignition tests and they all reacted as expected. hair puller.

Comment

I would verify fuel pressure and maybe even send injectors out for cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by larryscruggs View Post
                      I have a DF70 with a 99E10 ECU that shows no issues on the diagnostic program nor does it give me any alarms via the beeper and lights on the tach. But it limits my rpm's to 2800 max. I acquired a 99E14 ECU and it shows an exhaust manifold alarm both on the lights and beeper and the diagnostics program. However, it appears that my 1998 model year engine serial number is prior to when they put exhaust manifold sensor on the engine and I still only get 2900 rpm's. I have cleaned the entire fuel system except for the vapor separator but I can hear the high pressure pump operating. I could use some suggestions as to where to look now. Also can the 99E14 be made to function as a 99E10
                      Hello
                      Might be better to have your original part repaired at upfix.com

Here is the service link
                      https://www.upfix.com/product-catego...ontrol-repair/

Comment

Working...
                      X