DF175 4-2 error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF175 4-2 error code

Hi guys i have a 2008 model df175 that is throwing a 4-2 error code. I have the suzuki smart gauges and they are sounding a loud alarm (not just beeping) and will not allow the engine to turn over. Prior to this happening I replaced the high pressure fuel pump and it ran well until I noticed fuel dripping out of the front. I took off the cowling and noticed fuel coming from a fuel line on the top of the vst where I had forgotten to replace a hose clamp. I turned the engine off and after I got this alarm. The 4-2 code says CKP sensor but that is buried under the flywheel so I am wondering if this is the problem or if it could be the neutral sensor or shift position sensor
    THANKS -Joe

Ok so I worked on the boat today and I think made it even worse!!
    I have twin df175's so I swapped out the engine mounted neutral switch from the good engine to the bad one and still had the 4-2 code with no change. I then I swapped the shift position sensors and now I get am alarm and 1-2 error code on BOTH engines which correlates to the shift position sensor. Is there some special way to re-install these sensors?

Comment

Make sure the engines are in neutral, connect the switches back up and adjust them so the contacts are closed in neutral, disconnect the batteries for ten seconds hook them back up and you should not get any codes if the switches are in the closed position. As for the crank sensor the ecu will no know if there is a fault in that circuit until you crank it over.

Comment

I meant to add, when you turn the ignition switch on the ecu is looking at various sensors for information. Eg map volts, iat temp, engine temp, exhaust temp, ignition dwell and so on, so it can calculate injection pulse width and iac air bypass for a smooth idle, when you turn the key to the crank position it is looking to count 34 inductive trigger pulses from the crank sensor in one revolution. If for some reason this didn't happen the check engine light will come on with the code. You may have a crook sensor or it may have been a glitch. If the engine was running and this happened it will go into fail safe and will use information from the camshaft sensor, if this ever happens don't turn the engine off as you may not get it started.

Comment

Ok so I finally got both engines fixed. The problem was a simple neutral switch on the engine. They have little light flexible arms that depress a tiny little button when in neutral. If that little metal arm gets bent it won't push the tiny button to tell the engine it is in neutral and won't allow it to turn over. Another problem I ran into was that when I removed the shift position sensor I did not reinstall it correctly. I could not find the install procedure anywhere not even in the service manual. The trick is to put the engine all the way in reverse before installing the shift position sensor. It is spring loaded and if it is not installed this way the sensor will not send a message to the ECM that you are in gear and then the ECM will not allow the engine to go over 3000 rpm because it thinks it in neutral and wants to protect it from over revving.

Comment

Glad you got the problem fixed!! Anyone know what color the wires are for the neutral safety switch.

Comment

Referance 3-60 of engine control system has the adjustment procedure

Comment

I am fighting the same error code on my engine (error 4-2 on a DF140). Can someone explain how changing the neutral switch fixes the CKP switch error?

Since my engine issued the 4-2 error code, it will turn over but will not start even though I replaced the CKP switch. Should I replace the neutral switch now?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Bloggsy View Post
                  Referance 3-60 of engine control system has the adjustment procedure
                  Nope! that page says nothing about the installation of the sensor or shifter position when installing it. It only talks about using a special 3 wire test cord to check voltage

Comment

Originally posted by racehydro View Post
                    I am fighting the same error code on my engine (error 4-2 on a DF140). Can someone explain how changing the neutral switch fixes the CKP switch error?

Since my engine issued the 4-2 error code, it will turn over but will not start even though I replaced the CKP switch. Should I replace the neutral switch now?

Thanks,
                    *** you replaced the CKP sensor? That seems like a big job taking off the flywheel and such. If the neutral switch was not working the engine would not turn over. The shift position sensor should not prevent the motor from getting spark just limit to 3k rpm in neutral position. On the df140 the kill switch if bad would also not allow the engine to turn over. Did you check to make sure the engine is getting spark? A shot of starting fluid down the intake seems like a good way to see if it will start momentarily meaning you have a fuel delivery problem.

Comment

That's how you adjust it by voltage with a multi meter I just made up a 3 wire test lead or you can buy one From spares

Comment

Working...
                      X