1991 Suzuki DT25C Ignition question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Suzuki DT25C Ignition question

I have a 1991 DT25C tiller handle outboard on a 16 foot Jon boat that I'm trying to get running. It's been sitting in the barn since my uncle passed away two years ago and hasn't ran. We couldn't find the ignition key for it and after searching high and low for a N.O.S. key at numerous dealers, Suzuki tells me that specific ignition and key is no longer available. It's not a regular looking key, its more of a socket type magnetic key that fits over the ignition. The part number for the old ignition is 37110-95d03 and the corresponding key is 37141-95d50. I've since bought a used Suzuki keyed ignition for a remote control, that will fit into the existing ignition hole on the front of the motor. My question is this, Which wires do I need to hook up to make it work? My factory ignition has 4 wires, black, white, tan, and blue with red stripe. The replacement ignition I brought from a salvage place has 6 wires, black, white, green, tan, orange and gray. Does anyone know the functions of each colored wire from both the old and new ignition? Or better yet does anyone have a key to fit my old ignition? I can't locate a definitive wire schematic indicating each colors function. Any help will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Picture of ignitions

The old ignition on the right is the one that's no longer available according to Suzuki. The one on the left is my "new" replacement.
    Attached Files

Comment

In the URL I've provided (below) it shows 2 switches for your motor.
      Item #19 does say N/A.
      Also it offers 2 keys #20-1 (95d10), still available, & key # 20-2 (95d50), also N/A.

I'm not sure what the difference is in the keys, so call and ask before ordering. But item #35 is also listed as a switch for your motor.

If you are certain yours is key # 20-2, then down the list there still is a replacement switch, item #35 (95d20) in the list that should work for your motor.

from brownspoint marine:

Fig. 16 - Harness - Suzuki DT 25C Parts Listings - 1989 to 2000

Good luck.
      Last edited by Solarman; 09-28-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Solarman, thanks for the information. I've seen that schematic before and Suzuki tells me the only way I'll get this motor going again is to find another 1991 motor lying around at a marine salvage place and take the ignition switch and key off of it. That's what led me to the switch I currently have, the only close replacement. It says on the schematic you provided that the switch # 37110-95d20 is for 1993-2000 motors, mine is a 1991. The replacement switch I bought looks identical to the one shown on the schematic but I can't tell how many wires it has. I'd like to use the replacement switch I've bought before I spend any more money on another switch. So, if anyone can tell me what color wire does what I'd really like to know.
        Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Try this link below, I just googled what you needed for a Suzuki outboard.

Good luck.

http://www.tacklereviewer.com/upload...ng_diagram.jpg

Comment

I've got that MMI color code chart printed out but I can't figure out what the heck the blue with red stripe wire does, it's not on that chart. I really don't wanna have to completely tear apart the wiring harness on the motor just to chase that wire down but so far, that may be my only option. Somewhere, someone's gotta have an old wire chart for this old motor. ????

Comment

I believe on your motor the blue and red went to your kill switch.
              You can google the wiring diagram for your Suzuki outboard dt25c motor. From what I could make out (very hard to see those tiny wire letters), the blue/red runs to the Emergency connection for the kill switch. But you can check the kill switch on your motor, if accessible, and look at wiring diagram to get more info. Look at other size motors for the switch you bought, to identify those wires.

Good luck.

Comment

1991 Suzuki DT25C wiring schematic and old color code chart

Well after half of a day spent at boat motor mechanic shop (wasted trip) and on the phone with a dozen different Suzuki dealers, I found two places in Louisiana that were actually quite knowledgeable on these old two stroke motors. Nobody in Texas that I called works on two stroke Suzuki anymore. But I was able to find a fellow in Louisiana that had a book with old Suzuki wire colors before they went to the standard wire color codes today and he emailed me the chart and a legible schematic for my motor. So I decided since it was so difficult to find anything online, I should share it in case someone runs into the same issue I had. Won't be long now, I'll have the ol' zuki running again. Thanks again solarman for your help as well.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X