Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 DF115 leaving afloat over the winter

Hi All,

I have a 2014 DF115 hung on the back of my Jeanneau Merry Fisher. This winter I intend to leave the boat on the water (Salt) in our coastal Marina.

My current engine routine after every trip is tilt, support with tilt bracket, and flush with fresh water for 5 minutes via the flushing point at the top of the leg. I presume that this only flushes the leg, and not the whole engine?
    Is it possible that with the engine tilted this may leave fresh water in the very bottom of the propeller housing/skeg that could possibly freeze?

Hopefully the boat will get regular use (Maybe a couple of outings per month), so I guess no requirement for winterising at all, or am I wrong here?

What do others with outboards do during a winter left afloat on the water?

We are relatively lucky in Devon, South Coast of England, that the winters are usually fairly mild, but I would like to be confident that I have covered all eventualities.

Any other tips and advise that anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

I do the same with 2014 DF100A

My Beneteau Antares 580 is also going to stay on the water in the winter with engine tilted up. Every 14. day I will go for a ride but I do not freshwater flush after use. Is that necessary?
    100 hour service is just done.
    If the winter get really cold I tilt the engine down to prevent iceing.

Comment

I’ve got a similar question , I’ve just taken ownership of a MF795 with a DF200, my first time with an outboard, she will live on the Hamble in the water.... show how best to winterise the engine, the boat might get a couple of outings over the winter.
      Any advice for a novice greatly welcomed.

Comment

When it gets below zero F. I leave the lower unit submerged the harbor doesn't usually freeze until Jan. or Feb. (Homer Alaska) then I bring the boat home. They shut off the fresh water Oct 5 so I don't have any way to flush with fresh until I bring the boat home. I change internal & ext. zink anodes every year. (I put Zink anodes in after the first 300 hrs. because the alu. alloy anodes were not doing their job & had some erosion of water jacket)

Comment

Working...
        X