water in oil and water spraying from exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in oil and water spraying from exhaust

Hi can anyone help please i have 2 df 115 2005 models on my aluminium catamaran but one engine appears to have problems , there is water from the exhaust next to the tell tale spraying and the oil is discoloured as if slightly emulsified but level only slightly risen , Rang a guy up who said it could be my thermostat on the blink causing condensation to build up in pan he advised me to do several oil changes replace the stat and should be ok. but not sure how this would make water from my exhaust , Also could the poppet relief valve play a part
    Any advice greatly welcomed always happens at xmas .

I think you need to find a different mechanic first of all. One who is experienced or trained in Suzuki 4 strokes would be a good idea.

If you are are saying that there is water in the sump oil and it looks like milk coffee, and oil is in the exhaust water as well, then unfortunately you most likely have a bigger problem than a stuck thermostat. A blown head gasket is likely to be on the cards, and possibly worse.

Regardless, you dont want to use an engine that has water in the sump oil, neither do you want it to be sitting around for any length of time so that the water can destroy bearings etc. If you cant deal with this yourself, get it seen to as soon as possible.

Comment

Linzeih, I would remove the spark plugs from top to bottem and inspect them as they come out ,this can give a good indication on the condition of each cylinder. Take note of what condition there in and always keep them in order of removal. Compare them with each other and post back. Look for wet, oily or black ends , A cylinder in good shape should show a clean light colured electrode

Comment

Cheers for feedback will do a compression test on cylinders asap then report back

Comment

new stat came today so fitted it after comparing against old one in a pan of water old one would open sluggishly but not return via spring pressure so fitted new one and exhaust clear now no spray from exhaust at all not saying that this is the answer to all my problems but at least there has been a problem with the stat ,will do a couple of oil changes now and take it from there , the engine als warms up a lot faster

Comment

A stuck thermostat can't be the cause of water in your sump. There must be another defect. Unfortunately a bigger problem then a broken thermostat I think.
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

HI there , did a compression test on the engine yesterday all cylinders within 5 psi reading an average of 88 psi . changed oil again and checked plugs all dry but quite black but not to sooted
              engine just expelling plumes of grey smoke but not all the time very cold ambient temp still not convinced either way
              will put diagnostics on asap not that i expect any clues but as always your input greatly received . cheers

Comment

Originally posted by linzieh View Post
                HI there , did a compression test on the engine yesterday all cylinders within 5 psi reading an average of 88 psi . changed oil again and checked plugs all dry but quite black but not to sooted
                engine just expelling plumes of grey smoke but not all the time very cold ambient temp still not convinced either way
                will put diagnostics on asap not that i expect any clues but as always your input greatly received . cheers
                '''''''''If you have only got 88psi on all cyls you have got something drastically wrong, do the test again with the throttle opened, and make sure the cranking speed is good.

Comment

sorry , my mistake 188 psi

Comment

You can have good compression and still have corrosion letting water seep into the engine holder from another source. I cant imagine condensation being bad enough to make your oil discolour, but it is possible if the engine never got hot in freezing conditions. What is the ambient air temp at the momement, get a digital multimeter and check the signal voltage of the ait, engine temp sensor, and the exhaust temp sensor, with the key on, and repot back with the voltage findings, unless you are in the arctic you should not have four volts on any sensor.

Comment

Many thanks will do that and get back cheers and happy New year regards Tom

Comment

Ps ambient temp at moment 3degrees c boat hardly used last year but didn't want to rip engine down if not necessary

Comment

Checked voltage both are 4.67 volts

Comment

Mate something don't sound right, that is nearly the open circuit voltage the ecu sends down that line, can you check the voltage on the iat sensor in the air box. Even if you were in the artic I would not think you would see more than 3.5 volts on any of the three lines,engine temp, exhaust temp, and iat temp, to give you an example at 0 degree's C or 32 degree's F there should be no more than 6.5k ohms on the sensors can you check them with the connector disconnected, you are only 300mv lower in voltage before the check engine light would have come on. These three sensors and the map sensor are what the ecu will look at when you first turn the key on, it will determine how much pulse width on the injectors and how much air the iac will bypass the throttle plate when cranking, pulse width meaning how long the injector is open. Any wonder it is belching out smoke and the plugs are black, but this will have nothing to do with your oil diss colouring.

Comment

Thanks P
                              will check it out and compare to other engine

Comment

Working...
                              X