Motor Support While Trailering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Support While Trailering

I trailer my boat about 3 hours to fish and was wondering if and how others support the motor during transit. The last boat I had the dealer told me that I didn't need to support it that the transom was strong enough to support it. Although I have seen advertisements for the Motor Mate showing how the bouncing and the swaying of the motor is controlled by the device. Any thoughts from anyone?

I should be a little more clear. I have a Jack Plate that I use to raise the motor so it wont drag. I was just wondering if supporting the motor from swaying and bouncing is necessary.

Comment

A copy and paste from my owners manual(2009 DF90A)

In your case I'd think you would be fine with the engine in the operational position. I'm not familiar with jack plates other than pictures, I assume the mounting hardware would handle the bouncing around on a trailer?

TRAILERING
      When trailering your boat with the motor
      attached, keep the motor in the normal operat-
      ing position unless there is not enough ground
      clearance. If you need more ground clearance,
      trailer the motor in a tilted position using a tran-
      som saver bar or similar device to support the
      weight of the motor.
      CAUTION
      When trailering the boat and the motor,
      do not use the tilt up lock arm to hold the
      motor in the fully tilted position.
      Towing motion or poor road surfaces may
      cause unexpected tilt lock release, result-
      ing in damage to the motor and the tilt
      lock mechanism.
      Last edited by Murray; 12-29-2017, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I use a bar that supports the motor. The top of the bar supports the motor at the lower unit, near the water inlets. The bottom of the bar is pinned to the trailer crossmember. Every time I trailer the boat, it's a 250-300 mile trip.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

+1 on using a transom saver pinned to the trailer frame.
          ---
          John

Comment

I use a block off wood. There are holes in the wood that fit the engine. Can't be removed until the engine is raised a couple of inches.

Wood on the ground
            20170602_192103.jpg

20170602_192110.jpg

Wood placed

20170605_185314.jpg
            20170605_185323.jpg
            Attached Files
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

I have a hydraulic jackplate, too. I still use the transom saver bar to the trailer frame, instead of raising the jackplate and leaving the motor vertical. Just helps take the torsional forces off the transom during the long tows. While MYWedge, wooden blocks and such will protect the PTT workings, they do do nothing to remove those bouncing forces from the boat's transom, or the motor's mounting clamp bracket..
              Last edited by Harper; 01-02-2018, 08:34 AM.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

my motor support bar is attached to the bottom of the my Aluminum boat transom,the boat builders reasoning was that a boat also bounces on a trailer so a motor support attached to the trailer is not that supportive .

Comment

Can you post a pic of this,? Never seen one

Comment

Originally posted by simon p View Post
                    my motor support bar is attached to the bottom of the my Aluminum boat transom,the boat builders reasoning was that a boat also bounces on a trailer so a motor support attached to the trailer is not that supportive .
                    If the boat is properly tied down at the transom, then I'd have to strongly disagree. If the boat is lightweight, and secured by merely being strapped amidships over the gunwales, then I could see their point. My boat would never be secured in such a manner.

wilbur1, I'll get you a pic by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

image_1087.jpgimage_1086.jpgimage_1088.jpg

Here's three pics of transom savers I pulled off the internet.
                      Last edited by Harper; 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM.
                      Mike
                      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Boat should be FIRMLY strapped down to the trailer at or near the transom and preferably also using a turnbuckle belween the bow eye down to the trailer. Both ends are thus held down firmly.

The boat and trailer should move as a single connected unit - ie the boat should not bounce on the trailer at all!!

More damage is done to hulls from bouncing on trailers than anything else.

Back on topic - I use a block of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                          image_1087.jpgimage_1086.jpgimage_1088.jpg

Here's three pics of transom savers I pulled off the internet.
                          I was talking about Simonp. I have never seen one connected to the boat. That is what I have, mine is connected to the trailer.

Comment

​ Wilbur 1 its a bracket welded to the transom and i put a 1 inch pin through to hold the bracket in place ,then attach to the motor (there is no place on the trailer for the attachment anyway)

Comment

all i know is the motor is bolted to the boat

Comment

Working...
                              X