New Member, New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, New Toy

Hello, I just joined the site and wanted to introduce myself. I live in So. Ca and picked up a 13' Whaler with a Suzuki DT40. I'm 46 and this is my first boat ever. This little boat will mostly be a harbor cruiser here in HB. I'm pretty excited and plan on doing most repairs and service. Love the site and look forward to learning a lot here. I don't know anything about outboards and not much about 2 stroke motors.

Thanks in advance
    Kenny

Welcome to the forum.

If you are planning to work on the motor yourself, the first thing to do would be to buy the service manual. There is a sticky thread towards the top of the forum that lists motors and shows part numbers dor those manuals. You can then use the part number for your engine to search on the “Purchase Suzuki parts” link at the top of the forum and purchase from there.

For frequent service items such as water pumps, there are many youtube videos out there that can help you out as well. This (drop the leg, service the water pump and change gearbox oil) is one of those jobs to do every 12 months or so, if for no other reason than if the leg is not removed often enough, the bolts holding it on will freeze up making it near impossible to get off - and you dont want that to happen!

We have a couple of DT (2 stroke Suzuki) owners here who post regularly, so if you have any questions post them up and the guys will offer whatever assistance they can.

Most other items on the boat and trailer are well within the capability of a reasonably competent handyman, its just a matter of keeping on top of the maintenance to help avoid problems.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the world of boating!
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Another thing to consider about outboard motors, try to only run non-ethanol fuel, with a little seafoam additive, to keep carbs - fuel system - clean, and use the motor frequently. Motors that situp (Not used) for long periods of time have the most problems.

If ever concerned about something, post the info of your motor (year, serial/model numbers - for age and accessories), and as much info of your concerns. Just remember, we are not at your motor, so, as much detail as possible helps us.

Good luck, congrats, happy boating.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I did look at the service manuals in the sticky. My engine plate says 04003 609200. I believe this is a 2009 later engine, from looking at the chart. Is there anywhere else the actual year would be stamped?

Good times,
        Kenny
        Beachwhaler

Comment

Looking at browns point serial number chart for your number (04003-609200) I'm guessing your motor is 1986. In (04003-608513) 1986, your number follows this plant and run number closely. In 1996 again they have similar numbers (04003-651001), but they only utilized first digit of the second set as the year. The 51001 plant and run numbers, are the beginning numbers for that year for as models. The 1986 with the plant and run numbers are much more closely related to your number.

I do not have serial l number charts for 2 stroke "DT" motors manufactured after 2000. There is an older serial number chart in one sticky, that shows your serial number, again in 1986, as 6xxxxx. For '96 your number would have to start with 65xxxx, not a match.

Good luck. Post back if any other questions.
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
          X