Static timing dt40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static timing dt40

I'm new to the forum so thanks for the add.

My wife runs a 14" Jon boat with a 1985 DT40 Jet on the Little Deschutes River in Central Oregon. For the past several years the high end has become very bad. Took the engine to a couple of outboard shops here in Central Oregon; neither really addressed the problem, although the last one did say the cylinder pressure was bad. Since I'm an Auto mechanic I decided to rebuild the engine. Had one cylinder sleeved and the other bored out, put new pistons, wrist pin bearings, rings, and new seals and gaskets in.

I've rebuilt our 1985 DT40 but I'm trying Static Time the engine. According to the manual there is suppose to be two timing marks on the Stator; but I can't find anything that resembles a timing mark. Also, since I had to take the powerhead out I'm trying to get the throttle cables adjusted right, which I need to do before Static timing the engine. Any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Under the flywheel is a timing coil that automatically adjusts timing through the CDI (I am not aware of any other adjustments for this timing. The only other timing adjustment is by the throttle rod that moves the stator base plate. This timing is advanced/retarded by the movement of the throttle rod. If you have changed that rod length, then you will have to reset it by the Suzuki manual for that year motor. The manual might tell you more about the timing marks on the flywheel? Those marks, i believe, are just to verify that timing is advancing to what the manual recommends, pertaining to the throttle rod length (opening of throttle valve, with respect to rpms).

If you do not have the manual, i suggest you invest in one.

In the opening "home" screen of this forum there are "sticky" notes at the top. In one of those notes there is a list of Service manuals, with the part number of the manual 1985, dt40 that you need. You should be able to order the manual, if still available through "boats.net", the provider of this forum.

Good luck. Post back if you have other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      Under the flywheel is a timing coil that automatically adjusts timing through the CDI (I am not aware of any other adjustments for this timing. The only other timing adjustment is by the throttle rod that moves the stator base plate. This timing is advanced/retarded by the movement of the throttle rod. If you have changed that rod length, then you will have to reset it by the Suzuki manual for that year motor. The manual might tell you more about the timing marks on the flywheel? Those marks, i believe, are just to verify that timing is advancing to what the manual recommends, pertaining to the throttle rod length (opening of throttle valve, with respect to rpms).

If you do not have the manual, i suggest you invest in one.

In the opening "home" screen of this forum there are "sticky" notes at the top. In one of those notes there is a list of Service manuals, with the part number of the manual 1985, dt40 that you need. You should be able to order the manual, if still available through "boats.net", the provider of this forum.

Good luck. Post back if you have other questions.
      Thanks, Solarman. I have a Clymers shop manual, it tells me to shift into neutral, turn the throttle all the way fast, line up a mark that is suppose to be on the stator with the cylinder stop (I've located the cylinder stop.) I took the flywheel back off so I could get a clear view of the stator. The manual goes on to say that keeping the mark and the throttle open loosen and move the throttle cam until it contacts another cylinder stop then tighten the throttle cam. With that done then it says to loosen the a set screw and move the throttle lever until the roller contacts the throttle cam. I can get that far but the "mark" on the stator has me confounded. After making these adjustments to set the retard the manual says to move the stator to another mark and line that mark up with the cylinder stop (can't figure out what marks the manual may be referring to.)

I did have to remove the throttle cables when I removed the powerhead and the manual is silent as to the procedure to adjust the throttle cables. I have learned if I have them adjusted wrong I can't shift into gear.

Comment

Working...
      X