Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki DT65/DT85 parts compatibility (drive shaft housing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DT65/DT85 parts compatibility (drive shaft housing)

Hi all,

i was wondering if a DT85 Powerhead fits on a short drive shaft housing from an older DT65.

at least, the hole arrangement in the flange looks very similar in the parts catalog:

But could anyone please confirm or deny this? i don't want to start my own suzuki parts collection just to find out if it fits (or doesn't fit..)

thanks in advance,
    +Regards
    simon

This brings up a page showing the part description and at the bottom of the page all engines that the part is compatible with
    In looking at the lower unit for a 88 65- it appears compatible with many years of 55 & 65 engines but not 85's
    It would be a guess that bolt patterns are similar configuration but the physical size of the 85 being larger than the 55-65 models makes the parts not exchangeable
    Art

Comment

Hi Art,

thank you for your reply- you led me to the catalog on boats.net with the compatibility list you mentioned- i used the catalog on brownspoint.com before, which does not include such lists.

poking around there, i found that e.g. exhaust tube housing DOES fit for both 65 and 85 hp engines throughout the years (see here), suggesting the mid-section will also fit.

For the dt65, i found this gasket image, revealing the hole distances to be approximately 160x138mm, regarding the two main rows of bolts.

Unfortunately, there is no such image for the corresponding dt85 gasket, but overlaying an image without measuring tape with the above image shows good congruence of both hole patterns. Considering the fact that the exhaust tube housing (which also shares holes with this gasket) is the same, logic says the other holes will also fit.

So I'm about 95% sure now, that it will fit.

Can't anyone please give me the remaining 5% certainty by taking these measures?

i guess the reason why it is not listed in the compatibility list even though the holes might fit, is, that imprudent mixing of parts could otherwise cause trouble (e.g. the 65hp water pump being too small to cool an 85hp powerhead, or the gearcase being too weak)- so they better say "it doesn't fit" officially

Comment

Good research good questions
        Unless someone else really knows maybe a call to the order desk could shed more light on the technicals you ask
        Art
        As far as gaskets they are not horribly costly
        You could buy one maybe return it if it isn't exactly what you are expecting

Comment

Not sure what you're attempting, but if you're trying to extract exhaust, use the DT60 exhaust stack, cut 1 1/2" off the bottom of the tube. The early DT85s were fantastic to pull serious HP from.

Comment

Could possibly compare lower units. Same as you did for exhaust housing. Possibly the lower unit might fit your dt85 housing, and give you the short shaft? Or if short shaft is what you want compare your drive shaft parts to see if interchangeable?

You never actually mentioned why you were trying to swap the housings?

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X