No announcement yet.

C10 Fuel Rate burn problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The file should have the .swup suffix. In case I gave you the wrong link, here is the link to 3.5.04 .swup file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92b115srbx...0_00.swup?dl=0

Make sure the SD card you save it tonis 32GB or less. The NSS wont read cards larger than 32GB.

Comment

Moonlighter installed the new software and reset the fuel burn interface. No change. What now? Reset to factory defaults and reconfigure the entire system or check for bad cables?

Comment

Ok that is strange.

Please describe more fully the “fuel consumption jumps all over the place” comment.

Is it possible to take a video so we can see what you are seeing? Save it to utube or somewhere and post a link here would be the idea. That would be the most helpful option.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
          Ok that is strange.

Please describe more fully the “fuel consumption jumps all over the place” comment.

Is it possible to take a video so we can see what you are seeing? Save it to utube or somewhere and post a link here would be the idea. That would be the most helpful option.
          You bet.... here you go....https://youtu.be/HnMFDbkomnw

Comment

Ok thanks..... excellent video!

Well, those are totally crazy fuel consumption figures....

I did notice towards the end you went to the device list and opened the Port engine Suzuki interface. The software has not changed and is still showing as Version 3.5.0. So if this video was taken after you uploaded the software, then it didnt work.

One thing I would have mentioned if I realised you had twin engines, was that when you upload the software to the interface cables, you can only upload to one cable at a time - you actually need to unplug one of the interface cables from the network, upload the software to the other one, then unplug it and reconnect the first one, and do it.

When you select the update file in the Simrad files menu, then select upload, you should see a progress bar as it uploads and then see it finish. I always then go directly back into the device config screen and check to see that the software version has changed to the new version. The other thing is that software updates need good voltage to “take”, so make sure thats good, if in any doubt, put the batteries on the charger while you load the software.

So if that is correct, try re-doing the software update, one cable at a time.

But if you are sure you have the correct software installed now, then .......

With the correct interface cables and software, I have never seen such crazy data before.

So either there is a major hardware problem with the interface cables, or, possibly, the network backbone isn’t set up properly - as I discovered with another member recently...

Double check the network backbone. There are black and white rules for NMEA2000 network setup, and they include:

1. network must be set up with T’s and terminating resistors (TR) at each end eg like this: TR - T - T - T - T - TR. You should notice that T’s are connected at the top to other T’s. The open end of the T’s on the end of the cluster must be closed off with a terminating resistor.
            2. devices, and devices means everything that sends or receives data from/to the network, must only ever be connected to the vertical leg of the T’s. Never to the top cross part.
            3. the T where network power goes in should be as clase as practicable to the middle of the cluster of T’s, not to the end T.

If its not set up like that, you will have data and stability problems.

Hope that helps.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-06-2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Moonlighter Okay, so I double-checked and reinstalled the software I downloaded from your dropbox link and it is the 3.5.0 version. I don't know if you've got the 3.5.04 swup file?

I did, just to see if it was the culprit, disconnect the fuel level sensor cable from the network and ran the motors and it did not fix the errant fuel burn reading.

I took a look at my NMEA 2000 backbone and I believe it looks correct, although I cannot verify if there's a dedicated power line. I'll have to unravel a bird's nest of wiring to trace back unless there's an easy way to check if the power cable is installed?
              IMG-1354 (Small).jpg

Comment

*** that is some NMEA2000 network you have there!!!! How many devices are there??

Or, should I say - networks, as there appears to be a double layer of T’s..

So, on the right side ends I can see 2 x terminating resistors, but not clear whats on the left end? I would think there should be a cable that runs between the end T’s ie connecting the front row of T’s to the back row?

Anyway I double checked and attached is the link to download Version 3.5.04. As before, save it and make sure the file suffix is .swup, if not change it to that.
                Try the update again and see if it takes this time. See instructions in earlier post.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...20V3-5-04?dl=0

If that uploads correctly but you still have problems, then, given the obvious complexity of your network, I think its going to be too hard to diagnose further via discussions on this forum, it could be many things, not necessarily the gauges or interfaces, it might be that other network devices are causing problems, have heard of that happening. Large networks may, depending on LEN, also need a second power supply. Thats above my pay grade.

So then it will be time to get a professional with NMEA2000 network diagnostic tools, preferably someone also familiar with Suzuki networks, to have a thorough look and see what they can find.

Good luck, please report back on how it goes.

Comment

Moonlighter , downloaded the file but it doesn't appear to be a .swup file. If you've got the .swup file, I'll upload and see how it goes.

To answer you question on the network, yes, the left side of that photo there is a cable connecting the two rows and terminating resistors on the ends. In appearance, it looks to be correct, although I cannot tell if there is a dedicated power wire to the network and if there is, it'd be one of the three Ts on the very end.

If I upload this and it doesn't work, going to have to trailer it to a dealer that is Suzuki certified. Thank you as always.

Comment

That file is the .swup version of 3.5.04. There is no other version of 3.5.04.

Add .swup as the file suffix if its not there already.

Comment

Moonlighter Just to update you, I uploaded the new software version and after recalibrating and running the boat, it looks like the fuel burn rate has settled in and is accurately working! Crossing my fingers, but I think that did it! Thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by wesmadden View Post
                        Moonlighter Just to update you, I uploaded the new software version and after recalibrating and running the boat, it looks like the fuel burn rate has settled in and is accurately working! Crossing my fingers, but I think that did it! Thank you sir!
                        Ok good.

FYI I wnt to my dropbox folder on my PC and editied the file names so they now have the correct file extensions. It seems that when they were originally uploaded, dropbox for some reason left the file extensions off. Anyway, fixed now.

Comment

Working...
                        X