Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See the attached diagram, this is how the network should look.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-18-2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Grant,
      please see attached file for the two connections that I have tested.

Just to be absolutely sure that we talk about the same gauge - part number is 34200-96L00 and it looks like this: http://suzukimarine.com.au/assets/pr...tion-Gauge.pdf

I tried to google C10 and perhaps theres a difference - just want to be sure.

Per
      Attached Files

Comment

Just want to clarify that there is no on/off button on the gauge - it should turn on when ignition is on

I was wondering - is it possible that the gauge is faulty or perhaps it needs a softwareupdate before the HDS can see it in the NMEA connection ?
        Last edited by Kreuz1971; 01-19-2016, 03:25 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Yes, we are talking about the same gauge. There is no on/off switch, it comes on when the network is powered on.

Did you notice the difference between our two network diagrams??

On mine, there is only ONE connection to the gauge: and that is direct to a network T piece from the NMEA2000 plug on the gauge. My setup also has 4 T pieces, same as your first diagram.

Set it up as per your first diagram, but REMOVE the connection between the gauge and the analogue harness connector. Make sure there is ONLY 1 connection (the NMEA2000 connection) from the gauge to anything else. That should have it set up exactly as per my diagram, with NO OTHER connections. Report back on the results.

We need to do things one step at a time to solve this problem. Change one thing, test again, is the best problem solving approach.

If what I have suggested above doesnt work, then we will try software updates, but not until then!
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-19-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

now this setup is tested:
            1.Gauge connection only to NMEA network
            Digital output from engine to harness to interface-adapter to NMEA network
            Gauge doesn't turn on when key is turned

2. Digital output from engine to harness to gauge
            No interface-adapter
            Gauge turn on when key is turned

Comment

I am unable to offer any further suggestions. Other than, you should go back to your Suzuki dealer and ask them to set it up for you so that it works.

Comment

Hi Per,

Met the same problem you discussed a couple of mothes ago. The only difference - I have got Humminbird and this new multi function gauge. I do not know if you found the solution or not but ready to tell where I am.
                The results are exacttly the same you had.
                This gauge is not for distribution on the US market. The model you can buy there is C10.
                One of the broshures I saw on this gauge mentioned NMEA output and has word "pending" in breakets. I have now idea what this mean, bu one of the local distributors here in Russia mentionrd that complete NMEA ability will work only at the gauges at the end of 2016. Until that time only gps sensor and speed sensor can be swithed to the gauge using local(separate from the engine NMEA2k) However, I have not got any second confirmation of this statement.
                The issue on Y splitter is still open, but there is no much hope, since digital port provides for two way communication and this solution makes it impossible
                Thus at the moment I am waiting for the reply from the distributor who promised to contact the producer to clarify the issue. I will inform here on the results ,if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuz1971 View Post
                  Hi Art
                  The problem is not the HDS - I can connect and see all data. The problem is that I cant connect both the HDS and the gauge at the same time
                  Per
                  Does the gauge have an NMEA2000 cable ?

If not I don't know and I'll let Moonlighter answer

If yes , you just have to had a T on the back bone then you connect the gauge on it and that it ..

Comment

Does the gauge have an NMEA2000 black cable ?

If not I don't know and I'll let Moonlighter answer

If yes , you just have to had a T on the back bone then you connect the gauge on it and that it .......then you should be able to see the data on both HDS and gauge , then all the gauge data on the HDS

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuz1971 View Post
                      now this setup is tested:
                      1.Gauge connection only to NMEA network
                      Digital output from engine to harness to interface-adapter to NMEA network
                      Gauge doesn't turn on when key is turned

2. Digital output from engine to harness to gauge
                      No interface-adapter
                      Gauge turn on when key is turned
                      Hi Kreuz,

With setup 1. did you have your N2K network powered up, as in this configuration the gauge is powered by the network not the key switch?

Regards

Flip

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                        Yes, we are talking about the same gauge. There is no on/off switch, it comes on when the network is powered on.

Did you notice the difference between our two network diagrams??

On mine, there is only ONE connection to the gauge: and that is direct to a network T piece from the NMEA2000 plug on the gauge. My setup also has 4 T pieces, same as your first diagram.

Set it up as per your first diagram, but REMOVE the connection between the gauge and the analogue harness connector. Make sure there is ONLY 1 connection (the NMEA2000 connection) from the gauge to anything else. That should have it set up exactly as per my diagram, with NO OTHER connections. Report back on the results.

We need to do things one step at a time to solve this problem. Change one thing, test again, is the best problem solving approach.

If what I have suggested above doesnt work, then we will try software updates, but not until then!
                        Hi Grant,

I'm having a similar but different issue to Per.

I too bought a 2015 model DF140ATX complete with the colour multi function gauge when I had a boat built last year. I have done all of the electrical fit out myself besides that required to get the motor and gauge operational. On closer inspection it looks like the dealer has installed the gauge like on Per's wiring diagram.

The gauge appears to work properly except for the fuel gauge and for one reason or another I can't properly configure the fuel tank. On discussing this both with the dealer I bought the motor from and my local dealer their opinion is that I can't get this to work without a tank level sender. I was none to impressed... The gauge however is able to show the fuel used and I can zero this when I fill up but not top up, so it's usable but not ideal.

I have since got my N2K network up and running and interfaced the gauge and an HDS gen 3 MFD to it. I did this by connecting the gauge to the network while still connected to the square plug, so the gauge is effectively passing engine data to the network. Most of the engine data is available to the network except for fuel usage. The instantaneous fuel data is available like L/hr but not integrated data like L/trip or fuel remaining. Given what I have read previously I'm surprised I got this much to work.

I suspect this is because the interface cable between the gauge and motor doesn't have the Lowrance EP-85R fuel data manager module in it. If I were to install an EP-85R on the network do you think this would resolve my issue?

Regards

Flip
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-20-2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flippa View Post
                          Hi Grant,

I'm having a similar but different issue to Per.

I too bought a 2015 model DF140ATX complete with the colour multi function gauge when I had a boat built last year. I have done all of the electrical fit out myself besides that required to get the motor and gauge operational. On closer inspection it looks like the dealer has installed the gauge like on Per's wiring diagram.

The gauge appears to work properly except for the fuel gauge and for one reason or another I can't properly configure the fuel tank. On discussing this both with the dealer I bought the motor from and my local dealer their opinion is that I can't get this to work without a tank level sender. I was none to impressed... The gauge however is able to show the fuel used and I can zero this when I fill up but not top up, so it's usable but not ideal.

I have since got my N2K network up and running and interfaced the gauge and an HDS gen 3 MFD to it. I did this by connecting the gauge to the network while still connected to the square plug, so the gauge is effectively passing engine data to the network. Most of the engine data is available to the network except for fuel usage. The instantaneous fuel data is available like L/hr but not integrated data like L/trip or fuel remaining. Given what I have read previously I'm surprised I got this much to work.

I suspect this is because the interface cable between the gauge and motor doesn't have the Lowrance EP-85R fuel data manager module in it. If I were to install an EP-85R on the network do you think this would resolve my issue?

Regards

Flip?
                          Flip

Flip, the Suzuki engine interface cable incorporates the "memory module" (in effect the EP85r device). So no, dont add another one, nasty conflicts happen!

The tank "level" sensor is completely separate and distinct from the fuel quantity setup in the interface.

The way they have set Per's up is beyond me - i spoke to several of my experienced Suzuki (dealer) contacts on THT and they are perplexed too. The simplest thing is to just set it up the same as we always have - a NMEA2000 network with a drop cable to the colour display and the engine interface also on the network.

It is proven that way, and it works. If it aint broke ......

Questions: (might help us figure this all out)
                          1. what engine data can you get on the Lowrance virtual dashboard page?
                          2. In the network menu on the Lowrance, what devices appear on the device list when everthing connected to the network is turned on?

Comment

Hi Grant,

Thanks for such a quick reply.

To update the situation, I just got home from work and tested my configuration with the following results:

With both the engine data cable and N2k connected to the gauge, it only powers up when I turn the ignition key on.
                            With the engine data cable removed and the N2k cable connected the gauge does not power up.
                            With both cables connected the network device list shows all my devices as well as some thing else that only shows three dashes for the name and no data behind it. This I suspect is the gauge/motor.

I don,t think the engine data cable is the same as the interface cable you use as it doesn't have an N2k termination.

I can't run the motor but data I know was available includes: load, voltage, tachometer, efficiency, trim, engine temp.

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Flip
                            Last edited by Flippa; 04-20-2016, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Sorry, with the type of connection you have, i simply dont know how it works so i cant help.

If the cable isnt the normal Suzuki interface cable, then it possibly does need the memory device. Can only suggest that you ask whoever set it up this way what is required. It would help if you post back what you find out.

I am hearning some similar stories here in Australia that with 2017 models, the interface cable will not be used and the engine will be connected to the display directly - apparently similarly to what yours is. I will be trying to get some documentation.

One final question - there are, i believe, 2 types of Suzuki branded colour NMEA 2000 "gauge" displays available - one is the Suzuki version of the Simrad IS 35 display - this is sold/used in the USA. It only has a NMEA2000 connection and a USB port on the back.

The other, I have been lead to believe, is a "true" Suzuki display and is the one that is used here in Australia and Europe. I suspect that you have this version, it has corners cut off whereas the Simrad version is a complete square shape.

Which one do you have??
                              Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-20-2016, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Hi Grant,

I'm here in Australia too and I'm certain that I have "real Suzuki" gauge.

I'll keep you posted.

With the other gauge connected the way you normally do it, will it power up if the engine interface isn't connected to the network.

Regards

Flip

Comment

Working...
                                X