This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Grant,

I tried to reconfigure the total fuel used data point on my HDS yesterday only to find that it doesn't appear in my data source list under any of the data source groups. It wasn't under engine or vessel which both had Fuel Rate and Fuel Econ GPS. I could do an auto configure on each of these individual data sources but not a data source group (didn't bother as I didn't think it would do anything). I could also to a complete auto configure on the entire network but the warning message scared me off.

I have a fuel tank configured in the Fuel section of the Setup menu, that is for volume, but none of the other data points have anything stored like fuel used for trip, season, etc.

I'm going to contact Lowrance support this morning to confirm that this is correct. I'll let you know what they have to say.

This is what Suzuki Australia said:

"Total fuel used is not a NMEA (PGN identified) data point that is output by the Suzuki MFG, at this stage there is no plan to output the Fuel Used figure on the NMEA as it is not a standard data set."

"The only Fuel Level data output by the Suzuki MFG is the gauge level as a % - this is output on PGN 127505. "

Since I don't have an in-tank sender I can't configure the Suzuki gauge to transmit the tank level % either. I would love to see a software update that allows the tank to be configured without a level sender...

Regards

Flip

Comment

Ok Flip, if that is what they say, then you will just have to make do with displaying fuel used and fuel remaining on the Suzuki MFD, which shouldn't be a major issue. At least it is available there. More of a PITA than anything else that it isnt available on the wider network.

Very odd that Suzuki have decided not to output those fuel used Pgn's to the network. I will have a chat to my local guy when I get a chance. He is mainly a Garmin OEM installed so the fuel used data displayed on the Garmins would be from their own internal calculations - which might in fact be slightly different to the Suzuki MFD results.

BTW, If you had in in-tank fuel sender connected to the network, it would send data to ALL devices on the network, not just to the Suzuki MFD, so it would be able to be configured and would be available on the Lowrance. Personally, I would not bother with the expense of aadding one of them because the fuel used data on the Suzuki MFD will be extremely accurate. Plus, sometimes they can cause network conflicts.
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-06-2016, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Grant,

What I understand from the Suzuki message is that there is no defined Fuel Used PGN in the N2k protocol. It's not that they have chosen not to transmit the data on the network it's just that there is no defined PGN to send it on.

As for the in-tank sender I have no intention of installing one. I just see it as another possible leak point in the tank and as you say their accuracy isn't worth the effort.

However since I don't have an in-tank sender I can't set up my tank properly on the gauge and as a result can't get fuel remaining, tank % full etc. on the gauge either. This is where I would like to see an update allowing the tank to be set up without requiring the sender.

The only fuel usage data my gauge can display is the total fuel used and like you say this will do, it would just be better if I could get all the other stuff functioning.

Regards

Flip

Comment

Flip, i have just been messaging my Zuke mate at Cleveland. He says he has "fuel remaining" showing on Lowrance LMF displays that are connected to networks with the new Suzuki MFD. fuel used only on the Suzuki MFD.

So it seems he has it working.

He asked me to find out the part number of your gauge. And serial number if possible.

Also, it occurred to both of us that you may not have configured the Lowrance.

Have you gone into the network menu and done the boat setup - to configure it to 1 engine/1tank, and to set the tank capacity? Without doing that, none of this will work.

Comment

Hi Grant,

Do you know if there's a Fuel Data Manager on the network with the LMF unit?

Also I wonder if the requirement for a FDM is only for the HDS???

My Suzuki gauge part number is 34200-96L10. I got this changed earlier on from the 34200-96L00 by my local Suzuki dealer.

Regards

Flip

Comment

No, there is no fuel data manager module on the network with the LMf.

Any time one of those (previously called a EP85r) have been added to a Suzuki network in the past has been a total disaster, it creates irreconcilable network conflicts that could only be resolved by removing it.

While I havent heard of one being added to a new network where the Suzuki MFD replaces the interface cable, I would be very, very, very reluctant to do that because there would be IMo a high likelihood of the same problems.

So if you go that way, you will be a poineer and you will be on your own resolving any issues that arise.

You didnt answer the question about completing the config on your Lowrance unit? It needs to be done. System wont work unless it is. This could be the root cause of at least some of your issues.

I will pass on your gauge details and let you know if any advice comes back.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-06-2016, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Hi grant,

Sorry, must have missed the last part of your message.

To the best of my knowledge, I have configured the vessel and tank. On the data sources page under engine I only have the one to choose from centre. On the Fuel page I can see only one tank and it is configured to the size of my tank. I'll take a look this arvo to confirm though.

I have tried to attach the Installation Manual PDF but the upload keeps failing. It's 5M, is this too big?

Regards

Flip

Comment

Yes, too big. You can pm me/email grantbennett8@bigpond.com and I will see if I van get it up as an ***** user.

Check that boat setup, and see if fuel flow data will show up on the Lowrance. Litres/hr.

I would still do that auto-select/configure in the data sources. The warning sounds scary but it is nothing to be worried about. The reason I suggest this procedure is because the network gets corrupted when many changes are being made and unmade, devices added and taken off etc.

On more than one occasion, i have found missing data and been stumped as to how to fix it, then I remember to do this procedure and it all works again. Make sure eveything attached to the network is turned on when you do it.

Be brave - it wont break anything and you never know, it might just fix things!

Comment

Hi Grant,

I've sent the manual to your email.

The fuel flow data (economy) definitely goes to the HDS as this is what I use to set my throttle and trim to.

I'll run the auto configure when I get home from work and report back.

Regards

Flip
                    Last edited by Flippa; 09-07-2016, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Ok. Will keep an eye open for it.

Comment

This thread is closed.

The upshot is that the new Suzuki gauge works fine, but that it doesnt share fuel used data to the network. The result is that some manufacturers combo displays such as Lowrance that currently dont have internal fuel data memory are unable to display that information. Others such as Garmin, can and do.

Please start a new thread if you have questions about the new colour Suzuki engine data display/gauge that is only available outside the USA.

Note: this is NOT the same as the Suzuki C-10 gauge that is used in the USA, it is completely different and works very differently to the C-10.
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-09-2016, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X