DT8C won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT8C won't idle

I took the carb off, cleaned it all out, soaked the jets and installed a new fuel filter. Put it all back together and the motor won't idle. I am not positive that I pulled the pilot jet near the needle valve when I torn it down. So I did it all again. The pilot jet looks like it has an orifice all the way through but it is so small it is hard to tell. The motor revved up ok, just when you get below start level on the throttle it would sputter and cut out.
    Aside from double checking the carb - anything else to look at? Been a few years since it was run.

Thanks

Derek.-

When it comes to idling, usually the carb is the problem (most cases).

After soaking/cleaning well, did you use compressed air to blow through ALL the small holes, jets and pas-sages thoroughly? Yes, you must remove all the jets and blow through them as well.

When you re-installed the air mixture screw, did you set it back to what the manual recommends? What does the manual say to set it at (the idle air mixture screw)?

Post back when able to let us know. Good luck.

Comment

Yes. 99,9% carb issue. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, use it The small orifices can be cleaned with compressed air but not always.
      Regards, Martin
      DF200 2007

Comment

Hey Hoos, I've never used the UC, and my carbs work great. I have had to soak a second time in a few cases, but compressed air does work.

Comment

That's great. I do repair a lot of small engines. Often after 1 or 2 year not using the engine the gasoline gums and is not always removable with air. I use the ultrasonic cleaner because it never failed me. Disassemble the carb completely, put in in the US for 20 minutes. Use some brake cleaner and compressed air and the carb is as new.
          Regards, Martin
          DF200 2007

Comment

After pulling the carb, I realized the gasket was blocking the bypass port. So it wasn't getting any fuel through the idle circuit. I got it up and running. It will idle, but it seems like its not revving out as it should. My old 4 hp Johnson would rev its brains out in neutral. Maybe this motor is different.

Comment

Has your motor always leaked that much water from the exhaust port next to the pee hole? Just curious because a friend with a honda does the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuki175 View Post
                Has your motor always leaked that much water from the exhaust port next to the pee hole? Just curious because a friend with a honda does the same thing.
                As far as I can remember it spit from there while underway. I have only had this motor out maybe a dozen times.

Comment

It is common for water to come out the exhaust port in back. Usually, the higher the rpms, the greater the amount of water comes out the exhaust ports (upper and lower).

Depending on the year of your motor, they changed the throttle linkage to limit rpms in neutral, to prevent owners from revving up the motors in neutral, causing serious damages.

You should now put the motor on the boat, and in the lake/river, and test it under load.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X